What's your Favorite Kind of Player?

nameless

First Post
I like the players who treat my world like a sandbox. I enjoy telling my story, but it makes the game special for me when I see that my players are following it, not because it's the only thing in front of them, but because it's the most interesting thing in front of them. I like it when they have grand goals and plans independent of the latest plot development. Maybe it's the sadist in me, but throwing tiny wrenches in their plans that culminates with them throwing big honkin' monkey wrenches in mine always ends with a satisfying battle or two.

taliesin15

First Post
great thread, my condolences to those who think its depressing, and I think everyone's hit on most of the high points...frankly, I don't mind people being not absolutely prepared if they make up for it with game-time good role-playing

one thing not mentioned is having a party of players with very different styles of playing--this is exactly what I have in my game, and it makes it much more interesting, because different sorts of traits in the players give them different moments to shine

Gold Roger

First Post
Players that know what they want out of the game and can articulate that to me.

Diverse players. Players that aren't exclusively interested in one part of the game to the exclusion of other parts. Players that together fill as many "types" as possible.

Players that understand that they are playing a group game and that they sometimes have to compromise/step back.

Wombat

First Post
I love players who get involved in the process of making the world.

I like 'em to be quick on their mental pins, of course -- staying in character as much as possible, remembering all the NPCs, being excited (even witty) at the table -- but in the end, I like a level of investment in my games, a sense that this is not my world, but rather our world. Add a legend, name a village, come up with a cult, describe an interesting NPC -- be involved!

Levelling up is secondary in our games to building a realistic setting. :)

Remove ads