What's your favorite superhero TTRPG and why?

Eric V

Hero
I might be getting into minutiae with this, but I'd expect that (Spidey = underdog versus Scorpion) because in a single issue Spidey should be the on the ropes against him to show he's a threat. It's Spidey's intelligence and access to entangling/restraining webs that gives him a shot at defeating Scorpion through some means other than just raw fisticuffs.

Of course, then you get into the whole thing of how/why does Scorpion have more Strength than Spidey, or why in one comic panel can his armor resist ABC but in another he gets knocked out by XYZ, and...anyway, comics are funny like that sometimes ;-P
Fair enough, but there are plenty of issues showing Spidey punching the Rhino (and hurting the latter) and the game system can't represent that (Spidey's 40 damage vs the Rhino's 75 damage reduction).

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Fair enough, but there are plenty of issues showing Spidey punching the Rhino (and hurting the latter) and the game system can't represent that (Spidey's 40 damage vs the Rhino's 75 damage reduction).
For sure! Comics aren't beholden to modeling physics, whereas game systems inevitably have to reconcile to some degree.

That being the case, I think there's an excellent opportunity for our team to do something about that in our second release for the game. We're already playtesting all sorts of fun options and variants, so finding a way to resolve this issue would be great. Our second book is intended to be a toolkit for any FASERIP game, not just Astonishing Super Heroes. If anyone has any thoughts on this subject, don't hesitate to let us know!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
He also solo’ed Firelord, clings to walls via static electricity and other nonsense in comics, so there’s that.

TheHand

Adventurer
For sure! Comics aren't beholden to modeling physics, whereas game systems inevitably have to reconcile to some degree.

That being the case, I think there's an excellent opportunity for our team to do something about that in our second release for the game. We're already playtesting all sorts of fun options and variants, so finding a way to resolve this issue would be great. Our second book is intended to be a toolkit for any FASERIP game, not just Astonishing Super Heroes. If anyone has any thoughts on this subject, don't hesitate to let us know!
You could do something easy like, you can forgo the normal Yellow result to instead ignore part of the target's armor and maybe a Red result could get through all of it. Probably with some caveats thrown in so Aunt May can't injure Galactus with a steak knife.

Since the early 80's I have tried several and owned others that never got played. I started with the OG Villains & Vigilantes, which Kickstarted a 3rd edition in 2016/2017. I keep meaning to grab it and see how much changed. Spent some time with Heroes Unlimited by Palladium. I liked it but never got to play it. And then Mutants & Masterminds, which tended to have more players than the others because of using the D20 OGL for it's core system. I liked the DC stuff that was published for M&M 3E before Green Ronin lost the license, but never cared for any other DC-based game. I also never cared to any of the Marvel systems, which I know is an "unpopular opinion" around here, but I definitely want to try the new Marvel system when it comes out.

Remove ads