What's Your Favorite System for Star Wars

Geeknamese

Explorer
What makes me think it is overly complex? Reading the rules for the first three skills tells me the rules work differently for different skills. Hence the need for each of the 33 skills to have a half to a whole page of rules. And just reading the rules for the first three talents likewise tells me they create various modifiers in various different ways at various different times. Hence the need for each of the 150 talents to have as short blurb of rules. If a character sheet had to contain all the rules for the skills and talents the character had I think it would be a booklet.

What makes me think it does not look capable of making the cast of the original trilogy. Reading the character generation rules I can't see how to create Princes Lea or Luke Skywalker using Edge of the Empire.

What makes me think characters might not be capable of the daring do seen in the original movie trilogy. The rules. Looking at combat characters are limited in the number and types of actions they can perform, and need various talents to do stuff, and there is a critical hit table. Its not written as free flowing do or try to do whatever you like. Nor do the rules look capable of handling starfighter dogfights or speeder bike chases which are iconic to the movies. I do not fancy starting player character chances eve against say half a dozen or so storm troopers despite in the movies the heroes repeatedly dodging blaster fire with seeming ease. Let alone Ewoks taking down AT-ST walkers or a farm boy in a lone starfighter destroying the Death Star by trusting the force.

Maybe you can educate me as to how to make Leia and Luke? Maybe you can explain how the system emulates various iconic action scenes of daring do in the movie trilogy? Because to me it does not look designed to do any of that. Edge of Empire looks to me designed to make characters starting a career path as bounty hunter, smuggler, colonist, explorer, hired gun or technician with the Star Wars Universe being a background detail. Not designed to create the stuff of legends in a science fiction fantasy of heroes triumphing against insurmountable odds against an evil Empire. A tale of princesses, magic and monsters as much if not more than spaceships, blasters and droids.

Reading this, I can say with 100% certainty that you have not played the game yet. Leia is a Diplomat/Ambassador who picks up the Force Sensitive universal spec and then Commander/Figurehead as her third spec. Luke is an Explorer/Trader who picks up the Force Sensitive Spec, then Ace/Pilot spec and then ventures into the Force specs. And this all happens organically through the narrative. Like D&D’s multiclass except less gamey. Being that it’s a game that allows the players to contribute to the narrative and what happens in a scene, there are all kinds of ways to replicate the cinematic and heroics of the old movies. That’s what the Triumphs and Despairs are all about.

The biggest problem people admit to with this system is the narrative dice which literally just takes one session to get used to. The depth that they go into the skills for is because there is so much narrative freedom that they have to give players an idea of the scope of the skill. It’s not simple pass fail like D&D. I’ve introduced this game to a lot of people though local meetups and FLGSs. The first session is always the one that gets people hooked. It’s the same feeling when you go from a video game to D&D and realize how much freedom it is to be able to make whatever choice you want and affect the game world. FFG Narrative Dice System is the next evolution of that where you make choices and not only effect the game world but also take control of the shared narrative with the GM. It’s an improv player’s game. If you’re more wargamer than improv/RPer, this is probably not the game for you.

pemerton

Legend
If you’re more wargamer than improv/RPer, this is probably not the game for you.
There's absolutely nothing in @longisland's posts that make me feel that s/he is a wargamer. If anything quite the opposite - the complaints that you quoted in your post are of too much wargaming - especially in PC build elements - which gets in the way of play that might emulate the original Star Wars movies.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
It’s an improv player’s game. If you’re more wargamer than improv/RPer, this is probably not the game for you.
I improv about 90% of whatever game I'm playing/running by having only an outline of the adventure and then pulling weird crap out depending on how the dice go and player input. I go entire sessions just RPing with no combat.

I found I had a hard time "improv-ing" with the results of the FFG SW dice. Plus, try as they might, those books just don't read smoothly TO ME. I really have to concentrate to absorb them. So please, don't paint with the "Ur just 2 much of a WArgaMer, hur." brush.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
WEG 1st edition. For the nostalgia, for the source books, for a lot of reasons. I detest specialty dice, so FFG is out anyway. I just grabbed a copy of a homebrew Star Wars character burner for Burning Wheel that seems very promising, but I haven't really gotten into enough to vote for it.

Longspeak

Adventurer
If I had to pick a published SW franchise, it's be WEG. 1e for a pickup game, fast and easy. 2E R&E for something long term.

But... if I had my pick among the world, I hacked Over the Edge years back and that's always served me well. If i want more gamey, I hacked Dogs in the Vineyard - which doesn't need much - too. I've run both with success. The OTE hack would be my preference I think, for longer term play,

pemerton

Legend
If I had to pick a published SW franchise, it's be WEG. 1e for a pickup game, fast and easy. 2E R&E for something long term.

But... if I had my pick among the world, I hacked Over the Edge years back and that's always served me well. If i want more gamey, I hacked Dogs in the Vineyard - which doesn't need much - too. I've run both with success. The OTE hack would be my preference I think, for longer term play,
More info on both of these, please, especially OtE.

aramis erak

Legend
More info on both of these, please, especially OtE.
Here's my compare/contrast of the various WEG editions. I've not added the newest "D6 Space Opera" because I don't have it.

pemerton

Legend
Here's my compare/contrast of the various WEG editions. I've not added the newest "D6 Space Opera" because I don't have it.
I saw your post upthread, but I'm not that interested in the WEG versions. (Know of them, never played them.)

I was interested in @Longspeak's OtE and DitV variants. Both those systems are more my style.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
For those who prefer 1st edition WEG versus later editions, has anyone houseruled any way to raise attribute points?

Remove ads