D&D 5E What's your favourite enemy out of these four?

Since I've been writing the Blizzard of Axe and Sword, I've really enjoyed delving into my MM to find a whole variety of different folks to fight against. Apart from Frost Giants (a real favourite of mine), I also found situations where I can use the other favourite enemies of mine: the Duergar (love those miserable gits), the Sahuagin and the Sea Hags. It was really fun trying to work them into the story in a way that didn't feel forced.

Anyway, what's your favourite of these four and why?

The Blizzard of Axe and Sword Promo 2.png

- Kieran

Last edited:

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Definitely duergar for me. These dwarves make being taciturn an art form. They make implacable, truly unyielding foes and marvelously grumpy allies. They are, to me, dwarves that always seem to be having the worst day possible. They are so much fun to roleplay on both sides of the screen for me.

Definitely duergar for me. These dwarves make being taciturn an art form. They make implacable, truly unyielding foes and marvelously grumpy allies. They are, to me, dwarves that always seem to be having the worst day possible. They are so much fun to roleplay on both sides of the screen for me.

I think you're right! I had a lot of fun trying to get this grumpy gits into the book, and I think I've managed it. As part of the adventure, you have to go into the mines where the Duergar have enslaved the Deep Gnomes (irony, given their history!), and you can lead a slave revolt to get them out and back to the Underdark!

ZeshinX

Adventurer
I think you're right! I had a lot of fun trying to get this grumpy gits into the book, and I think I've managed it. As part of the adventure, you have to go into the mines where the Duergar have enslaved the Deep Gnomes (irony, given their history!), and you can lead a slave revolt to get them out and back to the Underdark!

Sounds like out of the frying pan into the fire for those Svirfneblin, given how inherently dangerous the Underdark is! ;)

As a massive THANK YOU for everyone who has taken part in this discussion, I'm pleased to announce that people who have taken part can use this discount code to get $2.00 off the Blizzard of Axe and Sword. That changes the prices from $6.99 to $4.99 - just over the price of a coffee. It's one way for you to know if I avoided the sin of railroading!

This code is limited to the first 10 people who take advantage - if it doesn't work after that, I'm afraid that someone got there first!

I've seen duergar before. I've seen frost giants before. Fought 'em both.

I've never seen good fun adventures with sea hags or sahuagin. Usually anything aquatic gets obnoxious because your characters aren't built to do anything useful underwater. So I say, go for a challenge. Use one of those two. Make them memorable.

I've seen duergar before. I've seen frost giants before. Fought 'em both.

I've never seen good fun adventures with sea hags or sahuagin. Usually anything aquatic gets obnoxious because your characters aren't built to do anything useful underwater. So I say, go for a challenge. Use one of those two. Make them memorable.

A lot of these, I've taken advantage of to use in more unique situations. There's no sea in the adventure, but there is a lake. The Sahaugin are in the lake, and so are the Sea hags. As figure as aquatic creatures, you can push their location a little wider.

Sea Hags are great because they can disguise themselves widely and so a coven makes for a nasty surprise if you don't realise they are there!

ccs

41st lv DM
Frost Giants.
Why? It's simple, giant viking warriors have always sparked my imagination more than any of the other three. Especially Sea Hags.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases