What's your single favorite D&D creature?

haiiro

First Post
What is your single favorite D&D creature?

Any ruleset, any product, any setting: the field is wide open. Please mention the creature's source, and delve into why it's your favorite. :)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
You mean monster in the sense of opponent for the party, yes?

Hmm... dunno! Don't really have one. Probably humanoids with class levels. :D

Bye
Thanee

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Assuming you mean as an opponent to the party, there are many that I am partial to, but my favorite would have to be Dragons. That said, in over 23 years of DM'ing, I have only run less than a dozen battles against dragons that I can remember, but to me they are D&D's ultimate iconic creature(s). I mean, it is called Dungeons & DRAGONS for a reason. Imagine Dungeons & Illithids or Dungeons & Githyanki or some such nonsense. Bah! Give me a Dragon anyday.

DM
(a little tongue in cheek, but mostly serious)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, my own version of ogres - base alignment of LN. Slow of thought, but exceedingly thorough thinkers.

IK Ogrun are not all that well balanced rules wise, but I like them anyway, ditto IK Gobbers.

I guess that it comes down to liking 'races' better than 'monsters', they are so much more versatile. Though Dragons in all their kinds are always a favorite as well, though again what is in the core rules ain't what I use.

The Auld Grump

Flyspeck23

First Post
Bugbears. I'd say goblinoids in general, but if I had to pick, it'd be Bugbears.

Give them class levels and have some fun. Oh, and don't forget about culture - even if Bugbears are just the bullies of goblinoid society.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Dragons. Hands down the ultimate critter. The only problem with 3E dragons is perhaps their power level, which has increased so much it is difficult to use them against a party.

But, I make do :)

Since its about play not power- Darksun's Tembo.

Psionic

Leap attack

CE

Never attack the same way twice

Deflect Arrows ability

Intelligent

and anything that its mere presence can halt clan wars and have them team up to kill it can't be all that bad. All that for a CR 5

I believe it is the only "Darksun" creature I have ever used in another campaign world.

DM JOE

First Post
I would have to say that the beholder is my favorite monster
I enjoy the aura of terror a creature like this can bring to a group of PC's(real world and in game). I also like his disgusting look.I try not to use them to often.

Remove ads