D&D General When a character dies and a new one arrives

When a player brings in a new character after a previous one dies, how do you handle it?

• New character comes in at same level as before

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • New character comes in at average level of the party

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • New character comes in a previous level -1

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • New character comes in lowest level in the party

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • New character starts at first level

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.3%

Shiroiken

Legend
It really depends on the edition and campaign. My original campaign (1E) was always level 1, but everyone had multiple characters, keeping a fair balance among the group. My college 2E group used the lowest PCs total XP, since levels were class dependent. A 3E group I played with used level -1, because that was the punishment for Raise Dead (3E), and while they never saw an issue with it, I know 2 players who quit that game due to the death spiral (each new character was 1 level lower, leading to near instant death). I honestly don't recall any 4E deaths that weren't cut scenes or TPKs. My current 5E group has everyone be the same level, so new characters are the same. I've had a West Marches style game with this group, however, where everyone started at level 1.

Iry

Hero
Everyone comes back the same level in my games. I lose enough of my hard-won progress in real life, so generally avoid it in my escapist fantasies. Even without a mechanical penalty for dying, it still strongly impacts months/years long story threads. Now... I do enjoy punishments beside death, such as losing campaign progress, losing faction approval, and even maiming.

"With a thunderous roar and stench strong enough to sicken even a sewage trencher, the hulking ogre gives one last heave and rrrrips Anthony's arm from his body. It pauses long enough to pop the meaty end into it's mouth and savor the marrow, giving Leslie a chance to haul your bleeding body out of its reach."

If a character is intentionally killing himself to change characters, or some other disruptive behavior, I'll have a talk with them in private after the game.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Usually the base level at which the campaign started, which is often 1st level.

I do encourage players to have backup characters (if death is a possible outcome) and they are usually free to swap in that character to get them a few levels if they want.

A new character comes in at the first level of the lowest tier an existing character is on. Depending on the tier/campaign, there MIGHT be a little extra gear included, but usually they just have the starting equipment.

Everyone comes back the same level in my games. I lose enough of my hard-won progress in real life, so generally avoid it in my escapist fantasies. Even without a mechanical penalty for dying, it still strongly impacts months/years long story threads. Now... I do enjoy punishments beside death, such as losing campaign progress, losing faction approval, and even maiming.

"With a thunderous roar and stench strong enough to sicken even a sewage trencher, the hulking ogre gives one last heave and rrrrips Anthony's arm from his body. It pauses long enough to pop the meaty end into it's mouth and savor the marrow, giving Leslie a chance to haul your bleeding body out of its reach."

If a character is intentionally killing himself to change characters, or some other disruptive behavior, I'll have a talk with them in private after the game.
I let my players "retire" characters if they want to switch things up. However, the new character is still a new character. It is not equal to the rest of the party. Everybody has different XP anyway, though, so it doesn't mess with things too much.

In our current campaign, players can have up to three active characters (only playing one at any given time). If a character dies, the player can create a new one at level 1. In the prior campaign, new characters could join at 1 level below the lowest character in the party. With leveling progression requiring more XP/sessions at higher levels, the lower level characters are able to close the gap in level differential.

The great thing about 5e is that it works with everyone at the same level or everyone at different levels or something in between. I'd argue that the possibility of PCs at various levels in a party makes for another interesting variable in game play but it's a given that YMMV.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
One thing 5e could use is more fluff and crunch around handling PC death.

Been thinking of creating something for DM Guild along the lines of preparing a Last Will and Testament, funeral options/costs, siblings/successors, PC replacement backstories tied to the PC that perished, etc. Just feels like this is an area that gets a handwave in many campaigns, and is ripe for creative exploration and additional backstory for PC's.

Remove ads