When a man plays a woman

Roseweave

Explorer
Sure, and personally I probably wouldn't play a trans person, I don't know very many (I know like, 3), and I'm not real well-learned on it, I would also question if it was something that would add to the game for me. I don't usually play people of color (being quite possibly the whitest person I know) for largely the same reason: I don't know it well enough to make it a meaningful addition to the game.

Oh, and to add: everyone fits some stereotypes, so while I try to avoid completely stereotypical behaviour I try to throw in a couple tics here and there. Take one of your table players: she's a painter/exterior repair person, she owns her own painting/siding biz, often shows up in paint-stained t-shirts and jeans but sometimes she shows up in a corset and heels. Why? Because she likes to.
like i said playing a trans character with a high bluff score lets me have them drop their voice for disguises :p I'm playing an "outsider" character too so it's just another thing that goes with the theme.

S

Sunseeker

Do you roll periodically to see if your character is flatulent or needs to defecate or urinate? Rolling for simple bodily functions sounds like a level of minutia tracking that I wouldn't care for either as a DM or a player (I already don't track my players' characters' ammunition usage). If you don't roll for calls of nature, then why would you roll for menstruation?

Also, rolling for menstruation makes no sense. If one were going to track it, then just going with an "X number of days between cycles" is far more realistic with no real rise in complexity over using a die roll (it would literally be just as easy as checking off boxes when tracking ammunition).

Agreed, having players roll for menstruation is really nothing more than a "HAHA GOTCHA!" for female characters so that men can make inappropriate jokes about a natural body function. Not to mention, reproduction has different timescales for different races. Attempting to track and analyze that sort of stuff is better suited for a sexually-themed game where there intent​ of the game is to deal with sexual stuff.

Roseweave

Explorer
combining the last 2 posts, trans women don't menstruate, lol.

though we still go through fluctuations, OOI - our body is wired to compensate even with a steady supply of estrogen.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Agreed, having players roll for menstruation is really nothing more than a "HAHA GOTCHA!" for female characters so that men can make inappropriate jokes about a natural body function. Not to mention, reproduction has different timescales for different races. Attempting to track and analyze that sort of stuff is better suited for a sexually-themed game where there intent​ of the game is to deal with sexual stuff.

HAHA, i've never ever seen anyone do that. I've played a character who was really afraid of pregnancy (her mother and grandmother died in childbirth) and she did mention feeling uncomfortable when it was "that time of the month", but I agree that imparting such bodily functions should be up to the player, not the GM. Also, my first step as a GM in a more mature campaign would be to ask whether sexually active PCs have thought about using "protection herbs" in order to prevent alimony charges or pregnancy ;)
(and yes, my players tend to be very careful, especially those who like to romance a lot)

More on topic, I've rarely seen players playing a different gender, although I don't have any problem with it as long as the player is not doing it "for the lulz" or in order to gain favours (some GMs are prone to letting female PCs seduce NPC far more easily than male ones). Not considering my NPCs, I've played two male PCs so far (a stereotypical knight and a sorcerer/monk) and I had a much harder time connecting with them, even if I really enjoyed playing them. NPC are far easier for me.

Remove ads