When a man plays a woman

S

Sunseeker

HAHA, i've never ever seen anyone do that. I've played a character who was really afraid of pregnancy (her mother and grandmother died in childbirth) and she did mention feeling uncomfortable when it was "that time of the month", but I agree that imparting such bodily functions should be up to the player, not the GM. Also, my first step as a GM in a more mature campaign would be to ask whether sexually active PCs have thought about using "protection herbs" in order to prevent alimony charges or pregnancy ;)
(and yes, my players tend to be very careful, especially those who like to romance a lot)
The group I'm in one younger player made a bunch of really obnoxious pussy jokes earlier on since I played a female weretiger. I told him my character considered these comments to be in character and was tired of it, and if she heard them again she'd gut him. I don't hear pussy jokes anymore.

Roseweave

Explorer
Why on earth is this not against the rules, but any retort to it is?

No, sorry, it's transphobic. I'm transgender and if this is protected speech it's deeply alienating to anyone like me. You're not putting up an argument here. You just know you can that be a dick to trans people and get away with it. It's just flat out bullying.

the Jester

Legend
The same goes for all this nonsensical 'gender identity' stuff.

I'm not quite sure what this means- whether you're casting doubt on the existence of nonbinary gender identities, whether you don't think they should be allowed as part of a character, or whether you think it just doesn't matter to the game. To which I'll point out that it might matter a great deal to the pc in question and offer lots of roleplaying opportunities.

MechaPilot

Explorer
As long as you acknowledge that it's make believe.

Magic items are make believe. However, science is actually uncovering the likely biological basis for gender identity. And, even if you don't accept that gender identity is a real biological thing, you at the very least must recognize that it is a real psychological thing, regardless of whether you think it's a mental illness (as some incorrectly do).

Roseweave

Explorer
If we're honest about it Gender in general is pretty "make believe". The idea that babies should be dressed in blue or pink, or be ascribed certain stereotypes. That is definitely make believe. The idea that people will identify with certain archetypes over another, when we insist those archetypes exist, is not. It's a thing. You can't say that only trans identities are invalid when the whole concept of Gender isn't exactly a tangible thing.

Remove ads