When another player builds a clone of your character.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've played in games where another player has had the same class, & generally the same skills/stats as mine.
I've never been in a game where they copied my character though.

pemerton

Legend
In my Prince Valiant game two of the players built near-identical PCs without colluding with one another; the only difference was the number of ranks allocated to Fellowship and Healing skill:

Brawn 4, Presence 3, Arms 3, Riding 1, Hunting 1, Archery 1, Fellowship 1 or 2, Healing 2 or1.

One described his PC as a middle-aged knight who's accomplished little, the other as a young knight of mighty thews. We decided that the second was the son of the first. It's worked out pretty well.

Ever wonder what it would be like to be a
Wizard in an adventuring party with a
20 intelligence and everyone else has an 8 intelligence.
My point is that with the standard array I see the same attribute distribution being used almost everything for a given class.
In my 4e game two of the PCs have 10 INT, two have 12 INT, and the invoker/wizard has 24 INT.

There is a similar though not identical patter across STR (on 10. two 12s, a 14, and then the fighter at 26) and CHA (two 12s, a 15, and a sorcerer and paladin each at 28).

A lot of skills show similar sorts of spreads.

It isn't really a big deal in play.

Sacrosanct

Legend
In 35+ years of gaming, I’ve seen it a few times. Two players playing the same macro concept (like a sword and board fighter, or two evoker wizards), but role playing them was different, and they had different personalities because they were being run by different players with different personalities and goals.

in short, not a problem.

5ekyu

Hero
Usualky one of several things is true...

We as players are sharing info about our chargen and can coordinate to avoid problems. It doesnt mean no cases of same base but we add more distinctive differences outside of class race etc.

The GM is collecting characters individually and they are looking for conflicts or issues. Then the GM might ask for changes.

Finally, if its show up cold, there are required pre-gens that avoid conflicts.

So, no problems

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Same here. We all chatted about concepts before the start of the campaign.

I've seen it most often with replacement characters. A dude dies, decides to roll up his next guy as "also a fire mage." There's no formal Session 0 to help counterbalance that impulse, and so you wind up with two dudes slinging the same spells and glaring at one another across the table.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I've seen it most often with replacement characters. A dude dies, decides to roll up his next guy as "also a fire mage." There's no formal Session 0 to help counterbalance that impulse, and so you wind up with two dudes slinging the same spells and glaring at one another across the table.
Oof that's rough. We haven't experienced that yet, but I can see it.

Greg K

Legend
Or maybe they are brothers. Or twins.
Back during the days of AD&D 1e, my brother and a friend of ours did exactly that. Each had rolled 18's in front of anyone and each applied them to strength. Then, both chose fighter (or maybe it was barbarian) and rolled exceptional strength with a result of 90+. Everyone joked that they should be brothers and, as a result, the "Bruise Brothers" were born. They had a lot of fun and, despite no longer having an interest in gaming, my brother'still, fondly, recalls that character from his days playing D&D.

Remove ads