D&D (2024) When are we getting the second playtest document?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
And I strongly disagree. Culture should not be connected to racial mechanics at all. It should be separate and available to be chosen by any race. Tying culture to racial mechanics is an awful decision.
The you better tell Wizards about that because they are. But I do not have an objection to what you are saying. However, every race will also be a member of a culture, will they not? So, what is the issues when picking a race to picking up a cultural trait or two. I do not have a problem if this comes from a cultural pool as long as the trails cover the common existing racial tropes for the traditionalists.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The you better tell Wizards about that because they are. But I do not have an objection to what you are saying. However, every race will also be a member of a culture, will they not? So, what is the issues when picking a race to picking up a cultural trait or two. I do not have a problem if this comes from a cultural pool as long as the trails cover the common existing racial tropes for the traditionalists.
Then separate Race and Culture into two different options. Race is all of the genetic and "magical" parts of your race that you get just for being a member of that race (spellcasting, extra movement speeds, extra senses, etc), while Culture is the proficiencies that you get for being a member of that culture (a warrior culture would give proficiency in certain weapons, while a mining/smithing culture would give proficiency in smith's tools).

And I did mention this in the feedback survey.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Then separate Race and Culture into two different options. Race is all of the genetic and "magical" parts of your race that you get just for being a member of that race (spellcasting, extra movement speeds, extra senses, etc), while Culture is the proficiencies that you get for being a member of that culture (a warrior culture would give proficiency in certain weapons, while a mining/smithing culture would give proficiency in smith's tools).

That is what I was advocating for, more or less, obviously not very well but we are in agreement, i think.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

The Level Up solution.

Remove ads