D&D (2024) When are we getting the second playtest document?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But they have been known to reverse course as well - remember when we lost alignment in official products and it came back within products in the same year?
True, but they didn't ask people if they liked removing alignment in the first place. They just did it.

I do think this is WotC is heading off anticipated trouble, rather than trouble that's already here. But I think the blow-ups over the drow and orcs are just the beginning and I have a hard time seeing the change to half-races as anything other than them trying to prevent a blow-up over those rules.
Honestly, I am surprised they even kept the term "race" in the game. That has been a major request of a lot of gamers interested in social justice issues on Twitter and WOTC seemed to be headed that way as recently as a year ago.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Honestly, I am surprised they even kept the term "race" in the game. That has been a major request of a lot of gamers interested in social justice issues on Twitter and WOTC seemed to be headed that way as recently as a year ago.
That's still doable -- they don't have anything like a final draft for the 2024 PHB yet. It's a little more work than just doing a copy and replace on the document (you have to make sure you don't have any unintended typos, with "brace" being turned into "bancestry," or the like), but it's something they can do relatively late in the game.

I wouldn't rule out a press release and a YouTube video announcing something like them dropping the word some time next year.

Remove ads