D&D General When did D&D gods first rely on their worshipers?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Bugs Bunny: "Umm. Could be..." ;)

dream
noun

3 he realized his childhood dream: ambition, aspiration, hope; goal, aim, objective, grail, intention, intent, target; desire, wish, yearning; daydream, fantasy, pipe dream.
if dream is similar to hope I would infer you mean lie or deception as those seem closely related concepts to hope thought out my life.

dave2008

Legend
No, not true. It is absolutely stated in pre-Avatar Trilogy materials that the gods need worship (1981's "Down-to-Earth Divinity" and the 1e FRCS, for example, both written long before Ao was invented). Similarly, later works such as Faiths & Avatars establish that gods would decline and die from lack of worship before the Time of Troubles, most famously in the case of Amaunator.

It is true that in the novel Waterdeep (the third book of the Avatar Trilogy), the speech Ao gives includes the declaration that he's imposing the need for worship as a new punishment for the gods. This is a continuity screw-up by the author and editors of that book, and should be ignored given the consistent evidence, both pre- and post-Avatar publication, that the worship reliance existed pre-ToT.
Except for Ao correct? I don't think any mortals worship AO.

TheSword

Legend
I'd argue that Discworld might be the fantasy series with the most material to offer DMs, whether it's thinking through the consequences of elements of the world or just a cast of stock characters to pull from for home games. (I'm sure there are a few DMs who have a recurring street vendor NPC in their games who aren't Discworld readers, but Pratchett shows off why you should have one, or a similar recurring bottom feeder urban NPC, if you don't.)
I find WFRP is massively reminiscent of Prachett. Particularly the writing of Graeme Davis. It’s the sarcastic British humour + a bit of whimsy.

Remove ads