D&D General When did Kickstarters become a bad deal

Every Kickstarter is different. You might as well as “when did shops become a bad deal?” or “when did eBay become a bad deal?”

Kickstarter is just the platform. It doesn’t price the items on it, nor the shipping, nor does it pack the packages. As always check the price is something you’re comfortable with before backing.
Yes agreed. I could have expressed it better. And all projects are different and some still offer great value but I have noticed that many online gaming stores like Atomic, Miniature Market, Game Nerdz etc receive the same product i supported on KS (likely because they backed it too) and offer it for retail 10-20% less than at what I backed at on KS and cheaper shipping.

Last edited:

Yes agreed. I could have expressed it better. And all projects are different and some still offer great value but I have noticed that many online gaming stores like Atomic, Miniature Market, Game Nerdz etc receive the same product i supported on KS (likely because they backed it too) and offer it for retail 10-20% less than at what I backed at on KS and cheaper shipping.
I'd agree that's a problem.

I backed the Hit Point Press KS for Heckna!, which was $137 (which I think included shipping, I forget since it was so long ago). Out of curiosity, I checked Miniature Market and to get what I did from the KS campaign would be about $100 with tax and shipping. I think the only thing I got that was unique to the campaign was a set of dice. I would never back another HPP campaign because of how poorly that one was handled, but seeing the price difference on an online store makes it even worse.

To be fair, they included 2 extra DM screens and an extra pack of animated cards because fulfillment was apparently as well organized as the rest of the campaign but that doesn't make it any better oddly. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah but now I can back a Kickstarter and pay $60 for it and another $15 in shipping or wait for Miniature Market to get it and pay $40 and $5 for shipping. The issue isn’t that shipping and book costs have gone up it’s that I assume all the risk and pay 30% more (as an example) . A couple years ago projects seemed to do a better job of offering a benefit to backing like the KP example I noted in the first post. Some sort of discount off MSRP etc.
My big issue with your perspective here isn't anything to do with you, but an observation on the last 10 years.

It used to be that Kickstarters, especially for RPGs, were known to be for indies. However, a lot of businesses have gotten involved. As a result, they've made it so a lot of backers now expect Kickstarter to work like a pre-order store. In reality, most Kickstarters, especially for RPGs, are passion projects that aren't feasible to be made without the help of backers.

Let me use my own projects as an example. I have three Kickstarters completed. Two of them were late -- one due to covid, one due to design issues. The other Kickstarter was early. In all of these cases, there is no way I could have ever assumed the financial risk by myself of printing, shipping, and distributing my ideas. However, through Kickstarter, I found other people willing to risk it to see my vision realized, because they believed in my vision.

With your perspective, the reality of the human on the other side of the Kickstarter doesn't matter. This is because businesses like Free League, MCDM, Darrington Press, etc, don't usually usually need the backers to take on as much risk. For these projects, it makes sense that you'd be miffed about risking anything, since they are legit businesses.

But again, Kickstarter isn't just for established organizations. It's for anyone, and more importantly, its for people who cannot get financial backing through other means. I'm not rich or well-connected enough attract investors through means beyond crowdfunding.

I get that it can suck being burned on Kickstarter. Not only have I been burned, but the wait times for some of my projects have burned others too. But for myself, I personally am OK being burned if I really thought it might be a cool project when realized. Now, if others who get burned disagree, that's fine. But that's part of the beauty of Kickstarter in my eyes.

Overall, I'm not sending this to challenge your perspective, but more so to point out how your perspective completely discounts the people on the other side of the table. You're risking maybe 70 dollars, and I'm risking the entirety of my reputation, my resources, and my time in trying to create this thing.

A lot of people in this thread have an attitude of looking at who is running the KS before backing. I think that's fair. But overtime, this attitude (which is logical in addition to being fair), as well as the presence of larger actors in the scene, really steps on the indie scene. Now that people are used to big companies dropping PDFs at the jump without having ever had to have paid for art or layout, people like me have to try even harder to convince people to take a dare on my projects. IT sucks, because it makes a smaller creator feel like unless they're a big company, they have no business on a platform originally created to help them.

As for discounts and pricing, I can't undersell just how expensive things have become on the publishing side. My first KS book was quoted at an 8K USD print run. Due to Covid, that doubled. On top of that, customs and shipping to our distributor increased something like x10 over. And then actually sending the books to our backers cost several times over as well.

If every step of production costs the publisher anywhere from x2 to x10 more, then there simply isn't room for discounts like there used to be. Because otherwise, these projects can't even afford to be printed at all.

My big issue with your perspective here isn't anything to do with you, but an observation on the last 10 years.

It used to be that Kickstarters, especially for RPGs, were known to be for indies. However, a lot of businesses have gotten involved. As a result, they've made it so a lot of backers now expect Kickstarter to work like a pre-order store. In reality, most Kickstarters, especially for RPGs, are passion projects that aren't feasible to be made without the help of backers.

Let me use my own projects as an example. I have three Kickstarters completed. Two of them were late -- one due to covid, one due to design issues. The other Kickstarter was early. In all of these cases, there is no way I could have ever assumed the financial risk by myself of printing, shipping, and distributing my ideas. However, through Kickstarter, I found other people willing to risk it to see my vision realized, because they believed in my vision.

With your perspective, the reality of the human on the other side of the Kickstarter doesn't matter. This is because businesses like Free League, MCDM, Darrington Press, etc, don't usually usually need the backers to take on as much risk. For these projects, it makes sense that you'd be miffed about risking anything, since they are legit businesses.

But again, Kickstarter isn't just for established organizations. It's for anyone, and more importantly, its for people who cannot get financial backing through other means. I'm not rich or well-connected enough attract investors through means beyond crowdfunding.

I get that it can suck being burned on Kickstarter. Not only have I been burned, but the wait times for some of my projects have burned others too. But for myself, I personally am OK being burned if I really thought it might be a cool project when realized. Now, if others who get burned disagree, that's fine. But that's part of the beauty of Kickstarter in my eyes.

Overall, I'm not sending this to challenge your perspective, but more so to point out how your perspective completely discounts the people on the other side of the table. You're risking maybe 70 dollars, and I'm risking the entirety of my reputation, my resources, and my time in trying to create this thing.

A lot of people in this thread have an attitude of looking at who is running the KS before backing. I think that's fair. But overtime, this attitude (which is logical in addition to being fair), as well as the presence of larger actors in the scene, really steps on the indie scene. Now that people are used to big companies dropping PDFs at the jump without having ever had to have paid for art or layout, people like me have to try even harder to convince people to take a dare on my projects. IT sucks, because it makes a smaller creator feel like unless they're a big company, they have no business on a platform originally created to help them.

As for discounts and pricing, I can't undersell just how expensive things have become on the publishing side. My first KS book was quoted at an 8K USD print run. Due to Covid, that doubled. On top of that, customs and shipping to our distributor increased something like x10 over. And then actually sending the books to our backers cost several times over as well.

If every step of production costs the publisher anywhere from x2 to x10 more, then there simply isn't room for discounts like there used to be. Because otherwise, these projects can't even afford to be printed at all.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. If I may clarify my own experience a little I think we may see we are not so far apart. I have backed well over 100 kickstarters. Some from large companies like Free League and KP and some from 1-2 person outfits kickstarting their first passion project. I have had maybe 2-3 that failed to deliver and many that were late. Some very late. But also a couple early and maybe a handful that were on time. I understand KS is not a store and when the projects that were late especially during Covid and even with the ones that didn’t deliver, I understood and just moved on.

My feeling in the past was there was a relationship between the creator and the backer. As a backer I understood the project may never be completed, may be late or even may not be entirely what I expected since it was just under development. But I also expected that being one of the people to help fund this project that there was a benefit to me too. So when I see the project I help fund a lot cheaper at an online retailer I cannot help but feel the relationship was broken. This experience is rather new. As I noted earlier, I did not see that happening until the last 2 years or so, where I was paying significantly more to back something than it would be sold for by a retailer upon release.

mamba

Legend
That's how you get the million dollar Kickstarter campaigns!
what good is that if 50% of it is for irrelevant stuff that has nothing to do with your core product and does not improve it one bit. I see a lot of knick knacks as addons as a sign to stay away.

Matt Colville has just shown you can get there without them too, as have many others before that

what good is that if 50% of it is for irrelevant stuff that has nothing to do with your core product and does not improve it one bit. I see a lot of knick knacks as addons as a sign to stay away.

Matt Colville has just shown you can get there without them too, as have many others before that
In theory if you're making a profit on those knick-knacks, that's extra money you can use to improve the core product you're offering.

In theory.

mamba

Legend
In theory if you're making a profit on those knick-knacks, that's extra money you can use to improve the core product you're offering.

In theory.
I suspect that is just a theory and the ones running the KS see this as an opportunity to make some extra money, just like any shop carrying several products would.

On top of that I see that as a distraction to their main product they should be focusing on, because now all this ‘nonsense’ eats up time and attention too.

I do not begrudge them offering a set of dice and a handful of other stuff, but if your list of addons exceeds that, then I stay away because as far as I am concerned you lost track of what is important, and I am not interested in backing something like that.

Now, this applies to TTRPGs, for board games there might be a reason for a few more addons, but there too I would be reluctant to back one that goes ‘overboard’ with it - but I do not see me backing board games anyway ;)

Remove ads