• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did you start using Greyhawk?

When did you start running/playing in Greyhawk campaigns?

• In the last 5 years.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • 6-10 years ago.

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • 11-15 years ago.

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 16-20 years ago.

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • 21-25 years ago.

Votes: 61 25.7%
  • 26 years or more ago.

Votes: 55 23.2%
  • I was never involved in a Greyhawk campaign.

Votes: 45 19.0%

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
As a side question to the "What Will Happen to Greyhawk?" thread:

If you are a fan of Greyhawk and either ran or played in Greyhawk campaigns, when did you start doing so?

My personal theory is that the most vocal fans out there are those who started using this setting a very long time ago, and that it is less appealing to younger gamers. But I'd like to hear your opinion...

Last edited:

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
It's the campaign world I started playing with my first character. That's why I've always said I was born and bred in Greyhawk as a D&D gamer.

Oh, and I answered 26+ years.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
1984, with the 1e boxed set. However, Greyhawk has never been my primary setting. I have always used it as a backup setting, a sort of common ground shared by my gaming circle. Whenever we needed a pickup game, a one-off or a standalone weekender, we used Greyhawk. It remained part of my homebrew as a parallel world that would see cross-traffic from time to time. I also played in a couple of Greyhawk campaigns in the 90s that were simply terrific (a great DM who knew and loved the setting). I've actually played more FR over the years, but it never hooked me like the Hawk did :).

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Hmmm... So far the numbers seem to support my theory: Greyhawk seems to be mostly popular with gamers who started using it a long time ago.

And that's not encouraging for those who wish to see it released anew as one of WotC's flagship setting on par with the Forgotten Realms or Eberron - after all, if a setting cannot attract many new customers, it is unlikely to sell well enough to justify the expense. At least for a publisher on the scale of WotC, that is...

Wombat

First Post
I started gaming in 1975.

I have never played in a Greyhawk campaign.

I was only briefly involved in a Forgotten Realms campaign.

I have yet to join an Eberron campaign.

When it comes to "official worlds", I'm not a great joiner...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads