• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did you start using Greyhawk?

When did you start running/playing in Greyhawk campaigns?

• In the last 5 years.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • 6-10 years ago.

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • 11-15 years ago.

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 16-20 years ago.

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • 21-25 years ago.

Votes: 61 25.7%
  • 26 years or more ago.

Votes: 55 23.2%
  • I was never involved in a Greyhawk campaign.

Votes: 45 19.0%

Xyxox

Hero
diaglo said:
i was never a fan of Supplement I Greyhawk (1975).

but i did get talked into using the material from it in 1979.

i bought the folio in 1980.

I never mentioned the Greyahawk supplement because it really didn't have any campaign specific informaiton in it. I got that supplement in '77 about two months after I picked up my copy of the white boxed set (and about two months before I picked up the AD&D MM).

Xyxox

Hero
Dark Dragon said:
One spelljammer adventure
Ahhhhh, Spelljammer.

I ran an ongoing multi year Spelljammer campaign that spanned the crystal spheres. It started off in Realmspace, but was all over Krynnspace, Greyspace, and Clusterspace, too. The Rock of Bral was a big part of it, too. The characters got caught up in the mists of Ravenloft for a time, but returned to the spheres through a portal that was opened briefly and ended up back in Realmspace on the fourth level of Undermountain. They lost a few of their number in Ravenloft, but picked up their overall goal which was finding THE Spelljammer. The campaign ended after a wild mage in the party took the helm of that beast.

jimpaladin

First Post
Another mid '80's (84 to be exact) beginner. I agree the lack of product produced in the last 10 years may be a reason that it isn't as popular. As we spend our time trying to come up with the "next BIG thing"; the classics get set aside. LotR's was a set of books few of the newer generation had read UNTIL the movies. Then why read the books? It happens with alot of my old hobbies - wargaming and model building being 2 :(

Jhaelen

First Post
I only started using the Greyhawk setting with the advent of D&D 3.X. I've never been interested in the setting before. Definitely too vanilla for my taste (btw. I've always hated the FR setting: the most boring setting I've ever seen, zero innovation, pure fantasy cliche of the worst kind).

When I started playing AD&D (1st.ed.) I used a homebrew setting. Then Darksun came along and I knew I had found THE setting!
Too bad they killed everything that was interesting about it with their Revised Set.

My 3.X campaign is set entirely in the Blackmoor region and it's more homebrew than Greyhawk. About the only standard thing about it are the human races and the pantheon.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Shadeydm said:
So you woke up this morning and felt the urge to dig up this thread and poop on Mr. Gygax...

Late evening in my time zone, actually.

And I remembered this thread when I saw the other current thread on Greyhawk, and I was preparing to post my thoughts on the issue. By the time I had found this thread via a Google, the other post was locked, so I posted to this one instead. I now realize that posting to this thread so soon after the other thread was locked might have resulted in a few hurt feelings. For this, I apologize.

But the fact remains that the only one of Gary Gygax' works I am familiar with is "Dangerous Journeys", which didn't leave me impressed - too complicated and too much math (and this is a GURPS fan saying that!), and too much unnecessary new jargon. If you can recommend some works of his that are better, by all means tell me about them.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I used the GH gods from the boxed set in my first HB world - but never used the setting.

FR - never
Darksun 2 campaigns
Spelljammer 1 campaign
Eberron - as a player, never run it.

Homebrewed worlds = 4

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Jürgen Hubert said:
Hmmm... So far the numbers seem to support my theory: Greyhawk seems to be mostly popular with gamers who started using it a long time ago.

And that's not encouraging for those who wish to see it released anew as one of WotC's flagship setting on par with the Forgotten Realms or Eberron - after all, if a setting cannot attract many new customers, it is unlikely to sell well enough to justify the expense. At least for a publisher on the scale of WotC, that is...

Ha ha ha.

Your poll proves this: Most of the people who love Greyhawk fell in love with it when it was not treated like a piece of :):):):) on a shoe by its publisher.

AT BEST Greyhawk has been treated with benign neglect since the departure of Gygax, so the "fact" that fewer people fell in love with it in the era of "Puppets" and "Childsplay" or in the modern era when there have been three Greyhawk products for the entire edition should hardly be surprising.

Kids don't like it, of course.

Except that most of the respondents fell in love with Greyhawk when they _were_ kids.

--Erik

Remove ads