• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did you start using Greyhawk?

When did you start running/playing in Greyhawk campaigns?

• In the last 5 years.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • 6-10 years ago.

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • 11-15 years ago.

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • 16-20 years ago.

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • 21-25 years ago.

Votes: 61 25.7%
  • 26 years or more ago.

Votes: 55 23.2%
  • I was never involved in a Greyhawk campaign.

Votes: 45 19.0%

Aeric

Explorer
My first GH game was RttToEE several years ago. Before then, it was almost exclusively homebrewed worlds as both player and DM, with the occassional DL or Birthright game thrown into the mix.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I've only recently started using Greyhawk, largely due to the material of Dungeon and Dragon. To be fair, I'm not really a fan of Classic Greyhawk or From the Ashes era Greyhawk. Both iterations seemed to lack the edge and the wicked Weird Tales inspired flavor that turned me onto Paizohawk.

Side Note: As a 23 year old I'm probably an anomaly among GH fans and Dungeon and Dragon subscribers.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Once I found out the early AD&D modules took place in locations in Greyhawk (not long after I started playing), my on going game took place there. I've played there off and on since then, and am currently DMing AoW in GH, as well as playing in STAP in GH.

grodog

Hero
Campbell said:
I've only recently started using Greyhawk, largely due to the material of Dungeon and Dragon. To be fair, I'm not really a fan of Classic Greyhawk or From the Ashes era Greyhawk. Both iterations seemed to lack the edge and the wicked Weird Tales inspired flavor that turned me onto Paizohawk.

You'll probably want to check out Rob Kuntz's boards, then, if you're a fan of his Maure Castle pieces (see the PPP link in .sig).

Campbell said:
Side Note: As a 23 year old I'm probably an anomaly among GH fans and Dungeon and Dragon subscribers.

Nothing wrong with less-aged folks taking an interest in Greyhawk: my three-year old son Ethan LOVES the Darlene maps from the 1980 folio :D :D

meomwt

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
On the other hand, what themes distinguish Greyhawk strongly enough from the Forgotten Realms that would justify supporting the setting as a full-fledged line without cutting into FR sales?

There's displaced peoples (Geoff, Tenhas, etc.) trying to reclaim their homes; a demi-god trying to control the world; the disintegration of The Great Kingdom; the effects of war on Nyrond and Furyondy...

There are lots of themes of a world trying to regain some equilibrium after a major conflict. Also, the Deities don't interfere so much as in FR, so there's more of a theme of Humans (and Demi-humans) looking after their own affairs.

Jürgen Hubert said:
If WotC supports multiple settings, they need to be strongly different from each other to be profitable. Eberron is clearly distinguishable in its themes from the Forgotten Realms. But is Greyhawk?

FR (as I understand it) has more subterfuge (Red Wizards, Harpers, etc.), and more of a High Magic feel. Greyhawk is more direct, and, though there are magical movers and shapers, magic is less prevalent than in the Realms. There are real battle lines, and opportunities for 'behind enemy lines' scenarios which FR may not have.

On the whole, Greyhawk is a good toolbox. To be honest, I've had it in a holding pattern, set just after the Wars, ever since I started playing there last decade. Whilst I'd like to see sourcebooks similar to 'The Marklands' (detailing places and peoples where conflicts occur), I'd be less keen on a constantly evolving world akin to the Realms.

caudor

Adventurer
That was a long time ago, but if I recall correctly I started D&D in 1980, but did not start using Greyhawk until about 82. Game supplements were hard to come by back then (lack of funds). Anyway, I've used Greyhawk for a very long time.

Now days, I'm hoping for a way to make the game easier to prepare/play without dumbing it down. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Digital Initiative will have to offer. I'm concerned about the future of Greyhawk, but confident that WotC and Greyhawk fans won't let it die.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads