• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When did your Forgotten Realms depart from official continuity (for world-shaking events)?

My 5e Forgotten Realms Campaign departs from official continuity...

• Never. I'll follow the official continuity (5e default?)

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • Before the Time of Troubles (1e default)

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • After the Time of Troubles, but before the Spellplague (2e/3e default)

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • After the Spellplague, but before the Sundering (4e default)

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 12 12.2%

Zardnaar

Legend
I was good up to roughly 1373 DR and some of the latter 3rd ed Realms books. Never used Spellplague era Realms, unlikely to use post sundering Realms. The 3rd ed Dragon book was the last book I cared about official FR lore as it started to get a bit silly.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Although I had some issue with the Time of Troubles back in 2E transition, I've not had major problems with Realms stuff until the 4E book. Needless to say, I don't use any of the 4E stuff.
I may incorporate some of the 5E material if it's well done.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "other"- my FR campaigns diverge immediately. I use the published material to tell my own sorties, so I cherry pick what I like and ignore what I don't.

dracomilan

Explorer
My PCs tried to prevent Mystra's death, failed, then took a timeshifting portal to hunt Shar in the future. So we skipped the Spellplague and will get back to the Realms for the grand finale of the Sundering.
Meanwhile, we adventured in Nerath with 4e PCs...

Kinak

First Post
The Realms have never really done a lot for me, mostly because the RPG material seems to be set at the least interesting possible times. I ran a campaign during the Time of Troubles back in the day, but the lion's share of material was for the new status quo after it. Similarly, the Spellplague could have been an interesting time to run a campaign, but the material was set later enough so that most of the interesting stuff had already happened.

I can't speak for the 5e Sundering adventures. Maybe they're actually dealing with the topics of the Sundering, which would be a nice change of pace.

But, for my part, I'd prefer to run adventures where the most interesting stuff is happening rather than adventures where the party just missed it.

So I guess my answer is "During any given Realms-Shaking Event."

Cheers!
Kinak

jcrowland

First Post
I mostly use FR for the map (when I play realms). I have the original poster maps and so that is what I use. As far as lore. I do whatever...I'll likely run the Rise of Tiamat adventures as-is, but I am not trying to "capture" the sundering in the game. If the PCs trek from the Sword Coast to Cormyr in that module (for whatever reason - side trek), they are likely to encounter the Aunaroch desert, so definitely old school, but dragonborn, warlocks, etc are fine.

I can't be bothered.

I vote "other"

DM Howard

Explorer
If I ever ran Forgotten Realms again, which I doubt, I'd keep with the official continuity. I've never been too bothered by anything that's happened in the Realms, besides Tyr and Mystra dying.

SteeleButterfly

First Post
I voted "after ToT". I've not read most of the books, but I do a lot of research on the world itself when I build adventures. The major divergence was that Shade never appeared. Our PCs are in the 11-16 level range. We're trying to decide whether to continue those PCs in 5e but in our current timeline, or start new PCs (perhaps being mentored by the older PCs). Either way, it's 1373 at our table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads