When do Dragon and Dungeon go subscriber-only?

Styracosaurus

Explorer
The loss of Dragon magazine is the only WotC decision that truly pisses me off.

I think that there will NEVER be a subscription for on-line content. It just won't work.

Hopefully, WotC can restart the magazine or get out of the way for someone else to do so.

Jack99 said:
I rather have them be 6 months late (although that is pushing it) than release a crap-astic product.

I quite agree. My main fear, however, is that we will get something that is more than a year late and still pathetic. We have zero evidence of WotC competency with any online or software product, as far as I'm aware. Hopefully the DDI will put that on it's head. I'll just be really surprised, that's all.

Bagpuss said:
If it drags out don't be surprised if Dragon and Dungeon drop to bi-monthly then quarterly publications.

Heh. I'll be outright surprised if they don't. Even the currently the content/month isn't looking like it'll be subscription-worthy.

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Ruslanchik said:
Only if you consider being six months late on a self-established deadline a good thing.

WotC has completely dropped the ball on DDI and have to do something to make up for it. Keep in mind, they didn't even announce that they were going to be late until after they were already late.

I wish I could be fly on the wall when the head of DDI tells his boss at Hasbro that they are giving away content that they were going to charge for because they were too incompetent to get everything ready by the date that they established.

I don't disagree with any of this.

That doesn't change the fact that they've started releasing free and (IMO) high quality content that I can take advantage of without a paid subscription. You can be sure that I am going to gobble up as much of this as possible, because as hong and others have said, Wizards' missed deadline isn't my problem.

Last edited:

EATherrian

First Post
Styracosaurus said:
The loss of Dragon magazine is the only WotC decision that truly pisses me off.

I think that there will NEVER be a subscription for on-line content. It just won't work.

Hopefully, WotC can restart the magazine or get out of the way for someone else to do so.

As a subscriber of Dragon from '86 and Dungeon from issue 4, I agree whole-heartedly. I'll never subscribe to the DDI out of spite for this decision, even if they offered to come to my house and play the game with me.

pawsplay

Hero
GoodKingJayIII said:
6 months of constant free content? That'd be pretty awesome, but seems too good to be true.

Six months of content identified as having little commercial potential, from the company that thought Weapons of Legacy was worth $34.95. Yeah, that's exciting.

Scribble

First Post
pawsplay said:
Six months of content identified as having little commercial potential, from the company that thought Weapons of Legacy was worth $34.95. Yeah, that's exciting.

Well... if that's what they think.. rock on, as the info I've been gettign so far has been GREAT!

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
pawsplay said:

We've gotten a new race, a new adventure, an organization, new magic items, and a new paragon path: all the kinds of things that would've appeared in Dragon or Dungeon of old. And the quality is fine. I'd even say it's high. And you're saying that this is the stuff that won't sell? Not that I have any reason to trust your knowledge of the industry, but if that's the case then consider me interested in the paid subscription. This is coming from the guy who wanted nothing to do with the DI.

If you're just trying to make a dig at my personal tastes... then perhaps I should be less discriminating about my ignore list.

Harr

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
We've gotten a new race, a new adventure, an organization, new magic items, and a new paragon path

Could you please point me to the new magic items and the new paragon path... I'd be interested in those but can't find them anywhere on the webpage (it's not very well organized though).

Remove ads