• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When does "dazed" begin?

Nareau

Explorer
Let's say I charge up to my enemy. He has a readied action to use a power as soon as I'm adjacent to him. His power successfully dazes me.

DAZED
You can take either a standard action, a move action, or a minor action on your turn (you can also take free actions). You can’t take immediate actions or opportunity actions.

Which of the following is true?
  1. I can finish my charge by making an attack, and still take a move and a minor action
  2. I can finish my charge by making an attack, but do nothing else (as I've taken a standard action on my turn, and thus done the most I can while dazed)

Nareau

Palladion

Adventurer
Just to be technical for a moment, PH 288, "No Further Actions: After you resolve a charge attack, you can't take any further actions this turn, unless you spend an action point to take an extra action."

However, if was only movement (or another action) that provoked the opportunity attack or immediate action, I would say that you can finish the provoking action and you would have no actions remain (as per the dazed condition, PH 277).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'd rule result #2, assuming the opponent readied his attack based on your movement. The readied action is an interrupt that didn't invalidate your charge, so with a daze result that charge resolution is the one action you get. Any other chance for actions should be lost as the daze takes effect.

EDIT: Palladion makes a good point, above, effectively mooting the question.

kclark

First Post
It would be #2 for two reasons.
1) Charge is a standard action. Being dazed lets you take 1 action on your turn. Thus your charge action continues. If you had spend some of your turn previously taking either a move or minor action, I would say the daze then ends your turn without the charge attack as you can no longer take that action.
2) After a charge your turn ends. Barring action points.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It would be #2 for two reasons.
1) Charge is a standard action. Being dazed lets you take 1 action on your turn. Thus your charge action continues. If you had spend some of your turn previously taking either a move or minor action, I would say the daze then ends your turn without the charge attack as you can no longer take that action.
2) After a charge your turn ends. Barring action points.

I think this is correct. #2 is kind of trivial, so it would be better to imagine getting dazed on some other kind of action. I would agree that in that case too, your turn would be done (barring action points).

You can compare to being slowed, where I think the rules or FAQ actually specify that if you're slowed during a move action and you've already moved two squares, then you movement ends.

I would also say that if you start your turn dazed and take an action to recover (by, say, using a power that grants you a saving throw), then you would get to take your normal remaining actions.

Last edited:

Remove ads