D&D 5E "When I Run D&D 5E, the Arc of the PCs' Adventures is 'Zero to Hero'." (a poll)

"When I Run D&D 5E, the arc of the PCs' adventures is 'Zero to Hero'."

• True.

Votes: 55 53.9%
  • False.

Votes: 47 46.1%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It is simple, and easy to remember. (Round off the 3.16... to 3.) Use as approximations of clout.

Fame

Student Tier (Apprentice)

L1: wellknown by 3 persons
L2: 10
L3: 30
L4: 100

Professional Tier (Adventurer)
L5: 300
L6: 1000
L7: 3000
L8: 10,000

Master Tier
L9: 30,000
L10: 100,000
L11: 300,000
L12: 1,000,000 − small nation or large metropolis

Arch Tier
L13: 3,000,000
L14: 10,000,000
L15: 30,000,000
L16: 100,000,000

Legend Tier
L17: 300,000,000
L18: 1,000,000,000
L19: 3,000,000,000
L20: 10,000,000,000 − planet Earth
That scales way too fast for plausibility, especially with 5e's 8 hour napynap insta-recovery & in worlds lacking in things like modern widespread internet/broadcast telecommunications(ie all of them). It starts out ok till 5ish & just fires up the rocket sled to fly off the rails from there. Players would need something like code geass/death note protagonist level fame for that kind of notoriety growth & both of those take place with tv radio & internet being a thing.

Yaarel

He Mage
That scales way too fast for plausibility, especially with 5e's 8 hour napynap insta-recovery & in worlds lacking in things like modern widespread internet/broadcast telecommunications(ie all of them). It starts out ok till 5ish & just fires up the rocket sled to fly off the rails from there. Players would need something like code geass/death note protagonist level fame for that kind of notoriety growth & both of those take place with tv radio & internet being a thing.
I want a scale that goes from close family to planet.

The fame is working as intended.

Also, each tier feels distinctively different. The fame comes with different kinds of challenges that affect more and more people. The Student Tier is about a school or village. The Professional Tier is about doing ones job for a town. The Master Tier is about influencing and saving a large city or small nation. The Arch Tier is about saving a continent. The Legend Tier is about saving the planet.

In my settings, using magic to communicate and travel is normal. Divination notices things. Distant nations often stay in communication with each other.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I want a scale that goes from close family to planet.

The fame is working as intended.

Also, each tier feels distinctively different. The fame comes with different kinds of challenges that affect more and more people. The Student Tier is about a school or village. The Professional Tier is about doing ones job for a town. The Master Tier is about influencing and saving a large city or small nation. The Arch Tier is about saving a continent. The Legend Tier is about saving the planet.

In my settings, using magic to communicate and travel is normal. Divination notices things. Distant nations often stay in communication with each other.
What planet? 2022 earth has a little under 8billion people. in 1900 it was 2billion. 1800 was 1 billion. 1700 was a little over 600 million.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
We are including nonhumans in D&D. :)
Even still, no setting has the density of intelligent/sapient beings needed to hit those numbers without hypotheticals like starfish alien hive minds all over & it's still a stretch. There is also the fact that it's easier for a gm to dial up things than to claw things back & dial stuff down.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I put false, but I guess that its not really something I think too hard about and in general it depends on how the campaign starts. I have certainly had some games start out at level 1, but I kind of consider that as journeyman level, you've already completed the 0 level and are now established as a hero. Though I guess they do go from zero recognition to heroes of the people as they adventure and complete quests.

FireLance

Legend
I tend to run "competent adventurers" to "more competent adventurers".
Pretty much. As far back as I can remember, a 1st-level PC has never been an untrained, callow youth. Every PC was assumed to have received some training in their class - a 1st-level fighter was even called a "Veteran", implying that they have been involved in several battles already. (As an aside, a 4th-level fighter was called a "Hero" so technically going from Zero to Hero means the campaign should end when the fighter reaches 4th level.)

Where I think WotC published adventures are lacking is that high-level adventures are still almost all about the same combat experience, just using more powerful PC abilities, in more exotic locations, and with more dangerous opponents. What I'd like to see more of is interesting challenges and consequences related to the PCs joining or setting up organizations, growing and administering them, and eventually leading them.

Remove ads