When I say "Scorched Earth" what do you think of?

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
This is RPG related, and I'll explain more later. First I just want to get people's reaction to the phrase "Scorched Earth." What does that make you think of?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
To destory everything, to give nothing to a foe. Not a place to hide, not food to eat, not people to kill, to leave the land barren and wasted.

SuperZero

First Post
Post-apocalyptic, a world destroyed by fire or heat. Possibly due to warfare, or something natural.
That's my first thought.

I don't think that's actually correct, though, is it?
Destroying everything, to make sure the opposition is completely eradicated, and not caring about collateral damage. That's what I think of next.

pauljathome

First Post
To destory everything, to give nothing to a foe. Not a place to hide, not food to eat, not people to kill, to leave the land barren and wasted.

Pretty much exactly this. Usually used in the context of a military retreat from an enemy in a war. Often (but not always) the earth being scorched actually belongs to the homeland of the side retreating.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Simply, it's a military mechanism by which you destroy any resources you can't take with you so as to deprive the enemy any use of those resources.

eferiev

First Post
It makes me think of the retreating Russians burning their wheat fields to sabotage Napoloen's eastward advance in 1812 - he had planned on "living off the land".

Remove ads