• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When PCs Talk: Free, swift, move action?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The only time I really concern myself about when a PC is talking is when an alarm is going to be raised. Then it has to be on the character's turn as a free action (since free actions MUST be on the character's turn) to adjudicate when someone is alerted. But that's about it. I don't sweat it any other time.

Mallus

Legend
Wisdom Penalty said:
Heck, different strokes for different folks, but I can't see the fun of every decision be a group-think decision.
You say 'group-think', I say 'teamwork'.

Where's the wrenching agony, the thrilling drama, and the independent thought in that?
Same place it's always been, in the player's level of investment in the given scene?

While I can see the reason for techniques like this used to increase the tension during combat, the costs far outweighs the benefits.

As a player, I'd hate being told, essentially, I could only roleplay on my turn. For me, RPG's are all about creativity and spontaneity. I can't 'plan out' when I'm going to say something amusing and in-character; the mood and/or inspiration just strikes. Having to wait 15-20 minutes for my turn to roll back around before I can blurt out clever, character defining things is a buzzkill.

Not to mention, being reminded that my character operates in rigidly-segmented time (even with regards to speaking) is too videogame-y. (I kid, I kid)

And what are players supposed to do when it isn't their turn? Which is most of the time, assuming the game has more than two players. You've neatly removed most game-relevant subjects from the list of "legal" speech. Which means more movie quoting and WoWSpeak. Or ,depending on conditions, the actual playing of WoW.

Last edited:

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Can't really argue with you, Mallus - you make some good points.

I just feel the quintessential fun spot of D&D is when you have one guy standing up, looking over the map, his face screwed tight in thought, d20 in sweaty hand. He needs to make a decision that could make or break the fight. It could be glorious victory of horrible TPK. All the other players, seated around the table, fidget and stare. So many want to say things, so many want to tell him what to do...but it's his character, his moment, and his turn to shine...or fall.

W.P.

Jeysie

First Post
el-remmen said:
But nothing about talking on your own turn keeps that from happening. If anything, because all talk is kept in character we get a lot more of that.
I find it easiest to stay in character when the RP is flowing freely, and everyone gets to be spontaneous because they have to say/do the first (or at most second) thing that comes to mind. Having to unnaturally pause and plan out what I'm going to say would ruin that for me. Combat is already pretty long and boring to me as it is... it'd be even more so if we didn't get to ICly shout out insults/ideas/encouragement all during the fights. Plus some of our most hilarious/fun moments during battle have been during those spontaneous interactions. :D

KiwiGlen

First Post
In our current campaign we have no particular rules for PC comments. Which is fine by me.

In the games I DM, I have other things to do than prevent PCs from talking.

But anything the PCs say during combat, if related to the current situation, can be heard by their opponents. If their opponents understand the language, they will act upon it.

"Damn it, Wizard, when are you going to Fireball?" Oops.

In roleplaying negotiations, I have to give fair warning that anything said at the table, if related to the current situation, is spoken by the character. Otherwise the roleplaying opportunity is lost.

Remove ads