When someone else ruins your enjoyment of a something

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Oh, that's a long, long, long list.
People tend to inflate things as being way better than they actually are. Others just ramble on and on about something good, but to the extent that I was no longer able to tolerate the subject.

Star Wars was ruined for me for about 5 years by a couple of Jr College instructors who were big Joseph Campbell fans.
Original Star Trek series became unwatchable thanks to trekkies for almost 20 years.

Twin Peaks, Lost, 24, Matrix, and many others have seemed like over-hyped trash and/or tripe. (Yes, I said it. "Trash and/or Tripe" Cope.)

Mallus

Legend
I've come to the conclusion other people are incapable of ruining media I love. I'm just not wired that way. I've warmed or cooled to various media properties, but that's the result of my being a slightly different person over time.

For example, no amount of irritating fans could affect my love of Star Trek. A million Trekkies in a room saying all manner of dumb things about Trek would only increase the number of people I feel smugly superior to by one million - not a good thing, nor something I'm especially proud of, but completely unrelated to my adoration of all things (well, most things) Trek.

Remove ads