When thinning down the collection, what to keep and why?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I'm moving this fall, and also the collection has grown so large that some of the unused games have found some new and very happy homes. I'm trying to get down to the handful of core systems that I know and run, with a few 'I love it, but I'm never going to play it' books.

So the dilemma is always "What to keep and why?" mostly coming from book style and purpose.

I'm torn on the adventure path\module\scenario books. Most I have in PDF, so it's easy to run them from PDF when playing online. In person, I'd probably get it printed, mark it up with notes, and then recycle it when done.
But it's nice to have the original hardcopy.

Also, for the supplements - regional sourcebooks, misc setting information, etc.
Those are nice in hardcopy, but the reality is, that almost NEVER makes it to the table during play. I'll usually re-read the region prior to play. Also, it seems like PDFs could fill this role nicely.

Books that have a lot of rules, equipment, spells, etc tend to stick around in hardcopy for sure.

What have you done when it's time to slim down or streamline the collection? I know, 'I don't' is an answer! ;):D:LOL:
That's where I've been for so long, but it's getting unwieldy.

What have you found that works well for your PDF\Hardcopy blend? What types of books are better in one format or another?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm not just an RPG nut, but a book nut, so I have many, many bookcases filled with books of all kinds. Moving is an absolute nightmare. I've downsized my library several times over the decades...and, honestly, I've regretted it every time. If I could go back and put in the time to box up, move, unpack, etc all the books I've given away, sold, or donated...I'd do it in a heartbeat to get all my books back. I've never regretted keeping a book. I've only ever regretted getting rid of books.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I'm not just an RPG nut, but a book nut, so I have many, many bookcases filled with books of all kinds. Moving is an absolute nightmare. I've downsized my library several times over the decades...and, honestly, I've regretted it every time. If I could go back and put in the time to box up, move, unpack, etc all the books I've given away, sold, or donated...I'd do it in a heartbeat to get all my books back. I've never regretted keeping a book. I've only ever regretted getting rid of books.
Yeah, I hear ya! My reading books will get some shelf space, but otherwise I'm going to have to index them with a spreadsheet and put them in totes in the crawlspace. Not enough wall room for all the bookshelves.

Downsizing is happening. So far, any rpgs that I've sold, I've not had any regrets. Also, a large pile of those games were second and third time purchases for that line. I either couldn't get into them or felt that I could replicate enough of it with a different system, and just mined the lore from a PDF.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I wish I had never purged a single book. It can be years later, but at some point I always reach for something that is no longer in my collection.
Same. I hate that. I'll be talking about some game or some novel or some non-fiction thing I know I have and go to find it...only to remember I got rid of it, lost it, sold it, etc 20 years ago because I couldn't be bothered to put it in a box and lug it to the next place.

I wonder if there's a name for that. Like phantom limb, but for books...

Over the last 12 years, as I have transitioned to pdfs, I have thrown away a dumpster's worth of RPG products.

Earlier this year I threw away over 100 RPG books. I have kept only a few pieces of sentimental value, and my Harn stuff because Columbia Game's prices are insane.

Reynard

Legend
Over the last 12 years, as I have transitioned to pdfs, I have thrown away a dumpster's worth of RPG products.

Earlier this year I threw away over 100 RPG books. I have kept only a few pieces of sentimental value, and my Harn stuff because Columbia Game's prices are insane.
I can understand transitioning to PDFs but why in the world would you throw away books? Sell them to Noble Knight. Donate them. Give them away.

Reynard:
I can understand transitioning to PDFs but why in the world would you throw away books? Sell them to Noble Knight. Donate them. Give them away.

Packaging them up and hauling them to the PO is more work than it is worth.

I did give a complete set of Fading Suns material to a deserving recipient, but otherwise, I don't like the idea of my stuff falling into the hands of the unwashed masses. Far better a clean demise.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Packaging them up and hauling them to the PO is more work than it is worth.

I did give a complete set of Fading Suns material to a deserving recipient, but otherwise, I don't like the idea of my stuff falling into the hands of the unwashed masses. Far better a clean demise.
Hoo boy I do hope you are joking.

Mezuka

Hero
  • Give to charity stores. Some parent would make a kid happy.
  • Sell: Impulsive buys you barely looked at or didn't like after reading.
  • Trash: Not in a good condition or missing pieces for box sets. Or books which bring back hurtful memories.

Keep:
Long ago I thought I would keep my Basic, Expert, AD&D 1 and 2 books for ever. Turned out I slowly got rid of them. I have the memories and I can't play with those rules anymore. I haven't kept much. 80% of my current collection is stuff bought after 2010.

RPGs are like ex-girlfriends. When you want to go back, look at the list of reasons why you left them. Suddenly you might not regret letting them go after all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases