• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When will my group ever accept me?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
stevelabny said:
...I really feel that Raven is the one more in the wrong here, and that she is only getting the support because she is the one who posted her story.

Steve has made every point in this thread that I would have.

nothing to add from here except "I Agree"

Raven Wintervale

First Post
Update Part 1

Well many of you asked to be update with how things went this weekend so here ya go.

I’ve got good news and bad news. I’ll start with the bad news first. Friday night my boyfriend went came over to pick me up so we could go see a movie. Someone suggested leaving out a couple of game books as a way to bring up what my hobby was without “bringing it up”. As I had to work on my PC for Saturday’s game anyway I left a few of my books out my coffee table. I was acutally working on my character when my boyfriend came to pick me up.

Naturally he saw what I was doing and asked me about it so I flat out told him I was working on my character for my game on Saturday and that’s what I did every Saturday, iI played role playing games. He asked me if that meant I played Dungeons and Dragons and I said yes it did. He had a very surprised looked which at first I took to be a bad sign. Then said, and I quote, “Wow I never thought you of as a brainy girl.” At first I was so relived that he didn’t flip out or anything that I didn’t really notice what he said.

Then, a few seconds later, I realized what he was implying. I won’t bore you with the details but after a twenty minute fight I told him to get out and that I never wanted to see him again. I couldn’t believe some of the things he told me. You know that stuff they say about the “Modern Man” being all sensitive and understanding? Well let me tell you something, it’s crap as far as he’s concerned. I’ve never been so insulted in my entire life. “People who play those games are usually pretty smart.” What kind of BS is that nonsense? What a jerk, I mean the creep actually thought that a Physical Therapist was the same thing as a Fitness Trainer. Why the hell would I be spending my parent’s money to go to college to major in something I could study at Bally’s Fitness? And I’m the dumb one? Then he thought that complimenting my body would help things.

I guess that, instead of worrying about whether or not my boyfriend would freak out if he found out I played role-playing games; I should have worried about him being surprised that I gamed at all, since in his opinion I was too stupid to play those kinds of games!

After those cracks things just got worse, then “nerd” came out along with some other really nasty comments about gamers in general and my group in particular. Something just snapped inside me and I went off on him. In the end I wound up slapping him in the face and kicking him out.

Sorry, I guess I’m still a little angry about it. God, I can’t believe that I wasted three months with that jerk! Well I’m happy that he’s gone.

The good news to follow once I get home from work.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
At least now you know how he *really* feels about things rather than him hiding behind and both of you feeling like you're leading "separate lives" due to holding secrets back.

There's better "fish" out there.

Crothian

First Post
That's not bad news, that's good news. Finding out your boyfriends is that way early in the relationship is much better then later. Now you can enjoy gaming guilt free from him.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Crothian said:
That's not bad news, that's good news. Finding out your boyfriends is that way early in the relationship is much better then later. Now you can enjoy gaming guilt free from him.

And now she can date a cool guy like you.... :)

DonTadow

First Post
I"ve had that conversation/ argument with former friends before and I know how at first bad it can appear, but like everyone else its more of a silver lining. Sad thing is I've met women just as dumb as he is. They claim to be looking for the complete package but have become so acustomed to picking on gamers and smart people that they can't see how good they got it. Sadly guys don't really learn until 25 or and most people are pretty much set in their ways by 26 or 27.

I"m sure your next bf is probably a good coffee shop away.

Crothian said:
Unless you totally misinterpreted him. It's been known to happen. Happens once a week at my house.

I'd give him a call back. Tell him your sorry you flew off the handle, and explain why what he said was so insulting to you. Tell him you've decided to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't think you were just a dumb broad, and that's not really what he meant.

If that doesn't go well, then you say, "oh well, I tried, and now at least I know that it wasn't me who caused this relationship to go down in flames."

And if it does go well, you get to have great "I'm sorry" sex, which is some of the best stuff there is. Oh, wait, I didn't really say that... :eek:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
JD may have a point there. Lord knows that I've been known to stick my foot in my mouth with stuff that came out a LOT worse than they were ever intended. Plus, Raven was all keyed up for a confrontation anyway. There's nothing like an easy to misinterpret comment to set off a hair trigger. Who knows? She likely did the right thing since no one other than her and her (ex) boyfriend where there for the whole schpeil.

Kane

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads