• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you're an "evil" person, what non-evil term do you use to describe yourself?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So let's say you've got a party of D&D classically defined "evil" characters. Someone in their group casts an alignment revelation spell. ... How do they perceive or interpret the information about themselves?

In D&D?

In D&D, they just say "Yes. I'm evil. And what are YOU going to do about it?"

There's no real stigmata associated with D&D evil the way there is in the Real World. People accept evil, tolerate it, acquiesce to it. Evil exists as part of the universal framework, as much as electrons exist as part of our universal framework, so the idea of "destroying all evil" makes about as much sense to most D&D philosophers as "destroying all creation." Evil is a valid and functional path to power and glory and immortality, even, if one doesn't mind a lot of suffering, a BETTER one.

In most D&D societies, even when an armada of Paladins are running the show, people blip on the alignment radar as Evil without so much as a blink. In the armada-of-Paladins scenario, maybe they're watched EXTRA close. But it's rare that evil, in and of itself, is an excuse to do anything.

It's not like the real world where people who do horrible things seek to justify those horrible things so they can still wake up in the morning and look at themselves in the mirror be secure in the knowledge that they're not awful people. D&D characters don't really have that kind of moral crisis unless they're falling or changing alignment. D&D characters can embrace evil. And nothing bad, generally speaking, will happen to them.

Well, I mean, the afterlife, sure they're a zit on the rear of some vrock, but before they die....eh....nothin' too horrible. :) And even after they die, there's the proverbial snowball's chance they'll rake their way up the ladder sooner or later and be more powerful than they ever were in life.

jjsheets

First Post
What non-evil term would I use to describe myself, if I were evil?

"Politician"

I tried to think of others, but I think most evil people in reality don't have the slightest clue that they're evil.

orsal

LEW Judge
WayneLigon said:
When Grodd puts together a new Secret Society of Super-Villains, aka the Legion of Doom, he constantly refers to them as 'freethinkers'.

As a freethinker myself, I rather like that term too -- only not to describe supervillains, but to describe myself and people like me. The problem with taking on a term like that, is that you cannot get rid of its established meaning too easily, and therefore it is awkward to use it for a totally different purpose.

I am assuming, of course, that you did not intend to suggest that freethinkers (in the conventional sense) are as a general rule evil, or that evil people are as a general rule freethinkers. The reason I am assuming you did not mean that, is that if you did, it would be the surest flamebait for religious arguments, and would get this thread shut down immediately.

At any rate -- ignoring the real world -- it wouldn't fit a D&D world at all. Every pantheon I have ever encountered in a D&D game has an adequate supply of both good and evil goods, and the mortals who most epitomize evil are as pious and devout as those who epitomize good.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
"Unfairly maligned by my critics, who are just acting out of spite because things didn't go their way."

Almost word-for-word from a local politician.
Exactly!

Some more for the list:
Better. "I'm just better at ________ than they are."
Noble. "I do what needs to be done, despite what society thinks."
Picked on/Singled Out. "Everyone thinks this way, but they need a scapegoat."
Sexy. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads