• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you're an "evil" person, what non-evil term do you use to describe yourself?

Elemental

Explorer
A lot of really evil people in the real world think of themselves as victims. After all, if you're being oppressed then it's okay to "fight back" and to use any methods necessary against their "oppressor". If you have a look at the rhetoric of famous tyrannical leaders, they will usually be talking about defending themselves from dangerous groups or influences.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I must have missed that section of descriptive text.

Misspelling aside (oy!), you see that most Humans encompass all the alignments, which means that if you know 10 people, at least 3 are likely to be Evil to some extent or another. It's just as common as Good. It's usually less desirable, but not more punishable.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
Misspelling aside (oy!), you see that most Humans encompass all the alignments, which means that if you know 10 people, at least 3 are likely to be Evil to some extent or another. It's just as common as Good. It's usually less desirable, but not more punishable.

I'd say it's somewhat less common than Good and both are significantly less common than Neutral. Evil just gets more press, so it seems more common than it actually is. I certainly don't think people are equally spaced through all the alignments.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
There's no real stigmata associated with D&D evil the way there is in the Real World. People accept evil, tolerate it, acquiesce to it.

That has to be up there in the top 10 most bizarre statements I've heard anyone make on this board. The entire point to virtually every D&D campaign is a battle between good and evil. Evil churches stay hidden save in evil or neutral countries. People don't acquiese to it, they seek it out and destroy it with fire and sword.

I guess it's a testament to the amazing diversity of campaigns, but I've never, ever heard that position taken by anyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads