• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you're an "evil" person, what non-evil term do you use to describe yourself?

Rhun

First Post
One of my favorite 'evil' characters is the government agent from the movie Serenity. "I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Rhun said:
One of my favorite 'evil' characters is the government agent from the movie Serenity. "I'm a monster. What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."
Reminds me of In the Line of Fire...

Mitch Leary: Oh, but you know about me? Do you have any idea what I've done for God and country? Some pretty ------ HORRIBLE things! I don't even remember who I was before they sunk their claws into me!
Frank Horrigan: They made you into a real monster, right?
Mitch Leary: That's right and now they want to destroy me because we can't have monsters roaming the quiet countryside, now can we?

Insight

Adventurer
An interesting read, Wikipedia entry on "evil"

Some philosophers believe that only acts can be evil, people cannot. In other words, a person may commit evil acts, perhaps many of them, but cannot inherently be good or evil. I know that swings against the D&D alignment system, but I thought, in the light of this discussion, it might be something worth considering.

The closest thing to real evil in our world is the concept of the sociopath. These people have no psychological connection to the concept of good or evil, and have no emotional reaction to committing so-called evil acts. Of course, such people do not feel that what they do is "evil", but necessary, for whatever reasons. Many of the most "evil" people (or more correctly, the most egregious of sociopaths) feel compelled to perform "evil" acts (whether mentally compelled, physically compelled, or feeling a social duty to do so).

If you must include spells like Detect Evil in your games, and you don't want to use alignment, you can still detect evil intent (in the midst of performing an evil act, or perhaps intending to perform an evil act). This makes much more sense, and prevents your Paladins and such from trying to smite everything that momentarily pops up as "evil". After all, just about everyone performs an "evil" act now and then, if only an act of selfishness that goes against the social mores.

Driddle

First Post
I've tried to fix your message, as noted in boldface below:

Insight said:
The closest thing to real evil in our world is the concept of the message board moderator. These people have no psychological connection to the concept of good or evil, and have no emotional reaction to committing so-called evil acts. Of course, such people do not feel that what they do is "evil", but necessary, for whatever reasons. Many of the most "evil" people (or more correctly, the most egregious of moderators) feel compelled to perform "evil" acts (whether mentally compelled, physically compelled, or feeling a social duty to do so).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Don't limit yourself. Use every good term and philosophy you can think of and twist them in different ways.

Good, Just, Honorable, Loyal, Valorous, Virtuous, Courageous, Pure, Righteous, Reverent.

For example:
- Kindness is doing unto others as you know they need done unto them.
- Happiness is taking pleasure in the deeds which you know give you pleasure.
- Joy is triumph in your undertakings.
- Love is the ebullient rush when all look upon you as victorious leader.
- Conscientiousness is knowing others are doing wrong and need to be stopped.
- Innocence is being pure in heart and mind, not stooping to think like your enemies.

Remove ads