Where and how do you play?

Where and how are you playing right now?

MGibster

Legend
I can't see myself playing face-to-face until this fall at the earliest. So Discord and Table Top Simulator for me until then.

Jaegermonstrous

Swamp Cryptid
In the beforetime, I DMed an in-person game at our house and was a player in another in-person campaign. But neither of our groups really managed the transition to online play, and there's no way we're playing in person before we're all vaccinated and things are a little less weird. So for now, I do a lot of world-building and try to satisfy myself with watching streams.

Mallus

Legend
Our last in-person game session was 53 weeks ago today. We‘ve been playing on Roll20 ever since. I’m also playing in a campaign via Zoom with a mix of high school & college friends, and their children (wow I’m getting old...).

SirMoogle

Explorer
I'm playing online: one with my friends over Discord (and heavily supplemented with a VTT) and I'm about to get into my first PbP game ever (Mausritter).

Mallus

Legend
Question for people playing via Roll20. What do you use for audio? (and/or video?)

The built-in audio tools have become increasingly unreliable for our group, so we're looking into other solutions to pair with it. We like the VTT. But the random audio drop-outs that affect some, but not all, of the players... not so much.

SirMoogle

Explorer
Question for people playing via Roll20. What do you use for audio? (and/or video?)

The built-in audio tools have become increasingly unreliable for our group, so we're looking into other solutions to pair with it. We like the VTT. But the random audio drop-outs that affect some, but not all, of the players... not so much.
My group played on Roll20 for two or three sessions before we decided to switch to Foundry. I vaguely recall using their A/V features without much problem, but nowadays we keep Discord running to use as voice chat.

MarkB

Legend
Currrently playing 3 games a week on Roll20 with Discord for audio, all with local friends who are / were members of our local gaming club as of the first lockdown. Friday nights are still the 'club' games, organised as quarterly 12-session slots with people voting for which game they want to be in next quarter. One of the others is a continuation of one of the quarterly games, with me continuing to run the Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign I'd started. The other is a Blades in the Dark campaign organised separately by one of our frequent GMs.

aramis erak

Legend
Solo via programmed adventure modules ( a la T&T, TFT, Lone Wolf, Fghting Fantasy) and solo via rules process (GM emulator, or self-honest use of player-driven rules like Blades in the Dark) are missing from the list, as is "play-like prep" ...

... Play-like prep is common for GDW's lineage, including Traveller, 2300, Dark Conspiracy, En Garde [now owned by Margam-Evans], Twilight 2000; and for some of FGU's, most notably Space Opera. The minigame character generation is not unique to GDW, but ultimately appears to have been their innovation in En Garde, and from that spread to all but two of the GDW released RPGs I've seen. (Those two being Dangerous Journeys and Cadilacs & Dinosaurs.) Traveller also has a trade and commerce function that can be solo played. If you stick to books 1-2-3, you can run a merchant game with random encounters entirely by the tables. Rolling up Traveller maps is also a great solo play-like prep element.

I've done rules prep as a solo activity, working on several pitches for my player group. I am planning to (soon as I can find my copy) replay Hell On Wheels, and rolled a few characters for 4th ed Twilight 2000 KS Backer Alpha Draft... in addition to running two games a week.

Remove ads