• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where are the Dinosaurs?

kobold

First Post
I need 4E dinosaurs. I'm out of town without my books trying to prep for a new campaign starting this weekend, and my DDI-Fu is failing - or they don't exist.
Can someone point me to them or tell me I'm out of luck?
Looking to do a King Kong/ Skull island vibe to kick things off, I suppose I could use a giant snake instead

Infiniti2000

First Post
Looking to do a King Kong/ Skull island vibe to kick things off, I suppose I could use a giant snake instead
Try Isle of the Ape. :)

Isle_of_the_Ape.jpg

Unwise

Adventurer
It's late and I need to get to bed, but have you seen that recent(ish) dungeon magazine with a king-kong-esque cover? It has an aztec jungle ruin and an undead giant gorilla in it. You could tinker with that maybe.

Sorry I can't remember the name of it. You should be able to tell by the cover though.

Mengu

First Post
You could also look for wolves, lizards, crocodiles, ogres, bullywugs, or whatever strikes your fancy. It's all numbers on a paper, dress it up how you like.

frankthedm

First Post
Isle of the ape is a High level module with a fair amount of baggage to deal with 1E's own high level play baggage. If you have it, picking some ideas from it could work, but for picking up a module for a King Kong / Skull island -esque romp, Isle of Dread is my recommendation. Just drop in a dire ape advanced enough to fight a T-rex or two and you are good to go. It is also fairly affordable.

250px-Isle_of_Dread.jpg

Here is a book I would recommend for any DM interested in a lost world adventure. Kong himself only takes up the last few pages leaving the vast majority of the book devoted to the dinos and other fauna.

27470723.JPG

The World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island

"The World Of Kong: A Natural History Of Skull Island is an art book filled with design and concept work from the people at Weta Workshop for Peter Jackson's film King Kong. Presented as if Skull Island really existed, the book shows dozens of animals created for the Skull Island sequences, few of which actually appeared in the final film. Each creature has a name (usually given in Latin), a translation of its name, a general size listing, and a few paragraphs of descriptive text. Material perfect for adaptation into the game system of your choice!"

Quote taken from this website. It converted the critters to the Hero system. Creatures from The World of Kong

Savage Tide adventure path also has some interaction with the isle of dread too IIRC.

Last edited:

GameDoc

Explorer
Young dragons make for great solos at low level. Just replace their breath weapon with something else and you have a big carnivorous dino.

MrMyth

First Post
It's late and I need to get to bed, but have you seen that recent(ish) dungeon magazine with a king-kong-esque cover? It has an aztec jungle ruin and an undead giant gorilla in it. You could tinker with that maybe.

Sorry I can't remember the name of it. You should be able to tell by the cover though.

It's called "Going Ape", involves the "curse of Cihuatlco", the aforementioned undead giant gorilla (or girallon, it looks like), and does seem to fit the jungle adventure drill - though is perhaps a few levels too high, as it is aimed at levels 5 to 7.

Here's the link: Going Ape

And here's the cover:
dnd_4new_dutoc_192_pic3_en.jpg

Remove ads