D&D 5E Where are the PDFs?

I'm curious how you think you can pull support when everything is usable offline. The dungeons cape program is supposed to work offline so presumably would the books you can read through the program.

It's no different than an ePub. You need an ePub reader to read them but you generally own the epubs you buy.

What's the problem here. What am I missing?

Your device crashes/dies/is stolen and needs replacing. The App is no longer on the market. All your stuff lost. A PC installer is easy to keep, iOS and Android not so much. ALso maybe the first time you install it, you have to activate it. You are stuffed if they've pulled it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Lol, all kind of useless to digital format players without making the core rules available on PDF. If you are a non-print person, laptop or tablet using player/DM, it would suck if you couldn't reference rules as you play.

The Basic Core rules are available on PDF. For free.

Pandamonium87

First Post
It's a pity they're not going to release PDFs. I would like to test a product before spending 40-50$ and before having to spend a lot of time waiting for my book (I'm Italian so I have to add shipping costs in time and money). The result is that I had to find other ways to test the game in a more complete way: i know that there's the Basic version, but I wanted to try the whole game in a cheap and easy way. If only they had released the PDF I would have bought them because they are cheaper, they are immediately available to download and you can play the game with your friends as you receive the file.

That said I liked the game and I have already ordered my new copy through Amazon.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I'm curious how you think you can pull support when everything is usable offline. The dungeons cape program is supposed to work offline so presumably would the books you can read through the program.

It's no different than an ePub. You need an ePub reader to read them but you generally own the epubs you buy.

Minor nit: You generally have a non-transferable license to the epubs.

This becomes an issue, say, when you will your electronic collection to someone, or try to.

Thx!

TomB

am181d

Adventurer
It's a pity they're not going to release PDFs. I would like to test a product before spending 40-50$ and before having to spend a lot of time waiting for my book (I'm Italian so I have to add shipping costs in time and money). The result is that I had to find other ways to test the game in a more complete way: i know that there's the Basic version, but I wanted to try the whole game in a cheap and easy way. If only they had released the PDF I would have bought them because they are cheaper, they are immediately available to download and you can play the game with your friends as you receive the file.

That said I liked the game and I have already ordered my new copy through Amazon.

My recollection is that Wizards was selling PDFs for cover price, but maybe I'm misremembering??? If they *were* you'd be paying MORE for the PDF than for the Amazon hardcopy.

seebs

Adventurer

Only the tablet one is supposed to "work offline", and tablet programs have to be reinstalled sometimes, so if they stop having it available, or it stops working with a new tablet, you're screwed.

I don't expect to live long enough to see a point where I can't display PDFs.

prosfilaes

Adventurer

I don't even know that Dungeonscape will run on my system without me running a Windows box or emulator. Unlike ePub, which I can read just about anywhere and various programs will convert to any format I need. If it works offline, on my computer I can emulate the necessary hardware, but that's a pain and of limited portability. Open-format documents are way easier to handle then closed-format documents handled by proprietary programs.

My recollection is that Wizards was selling PDFs for cover price, but maybe I'm misremembering??? If they *were* you'd be paying MORE for the PDF than for the Amazon hardcopy.
You are not misremembering.
In 4e, PDFs were the same price, so it was often cheaper (even with shipping) to get the physical copy.

Remove ads