• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Where are the PDFs?

Bugleyman

First Post
You are wrong. It was the diametric opposite of that.

I'm sorry, I don't understand -- which is why I asked you to explain.

So is it about the format? I'm unclear. A digital format that isn't PDF isn't OK for you?

A digital format that relies on some sort of authentication server remaining online isn't OK for me.

They said there will be digital editions.

And I was born long before 1984. Please don't make weird condescending guesses about my personal life.

Ad hominem again? I'm disagreeing with you. That happens in discussions; especially on a discussion board. No need to get personal. Honestly, I don't particularly care. I was debating. But these slightly weird references to my age (very wrong) and personal jabs are making this quite uncomfortable.

Making a statement about probabilities regarding your age is neither a personal jab, nor is it weird. I do, however, stand corrected about your age. My intention was to illustrate my interest in D&D has been enduring, rather than fickle as you implied.

As for debating: WotC's current product offerings do not meet my needs, and so I'm reluctantly forced to take my money elsewhere. Which I deeply regret. Unless you think you know what I want better than I do, I really don't see what there is to disagree about.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A digital format that relies on some sort of authentication server remaining online isn't OK for me.

It's not PDF, but doesn't require a sub or connection to access content you've bought.

Making a statement about probabilities regarding your age is neither a personal jab, nor is it weird.

It's fairly weird and uncomfortable.

As for debating -- I've simply stated that WotC's current product offerings do not meet my needs, and so I'll reluctantly forced to go elsewhere. Which I regret. Unless you think you can convince me I don't know what I want, I really don't see what there is to debate.

Then why post? It's a discussion board. But, OK, you wanted to speak without reply. A blog with the comments turned off might be a better venue for that format than the middle of a discussion thread, but I'll leave you to it. Enjoy! :)

It's not PDF, but doesn't require a sub or connection to access content you've bought.

Yes when your app is installed but what about if the servers go offline and/or the app is pulled from store? A new device or reloaded OS can easily end your access then. I am not saying this is the case but PDFs will be accessible for my lifetime, I would place money that DungeonScape will not.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes when your app is installed but what about if the servers go offline and/or the app is pulled from store? A new device or reloaded OS can easily end your access then. I am not saying this is the case but PDFs will be accessible for my lifetime, I would place money that DungeonScape will not.

Uh, why couldn't you just move the installation file to the new device? If you erase your drive, you lose the PDF anyway. I am not understanding this objection. I am willing to bet something will always be out there that can function like DungeonScape, whether it is someone else keeping a copy of the install files around, or something compatible with it after it goes away...just like if Adobe and other PDF readers went away, you'd always find someone who would put out another reader in some way.

Last edited:

Because, very often, you have to authorise/activate your copy on first install. GL with that if the servers are gone. Backing up and accessing your PDF on any e device is very easy. A defunct proprietary app, not so much.

Bugleyman

First Post
It's fairly weird and uncomfortable.

I think that's an overreaction. But if I truly made you uncomfortable, I'm sorry.

Then why post? It's a discussion board. But, OK, you wanted to speak without reply. A blog with the comments turned off might be a better venue for that format than the middle of a discussion thread, but I'll leave you to it. Enjoy! :)

I didn't want to speak without reply. I wanted to be able to express my concerns without being told that my preference as a customer is "wrong." I am a long-time D&D customer who would like to be able to buy PDFs. I also happen to feel it's a mistake on WotC's part not to offer them. I'm sorry you find that position objectionable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't want to speak without reply. I wanted to be able to express my concerns without being told that my preference as a customer is "wrong."

You put that in quote marks, but it's not a quote. I did not say that; please do not claim that I did.

Apparently that's such an unreasonable position that Hasbro, Inc. needs you to defend them.

Ad hominem #3? Really, dude? Seriously, stop that. Argument, not the person, right?

No, what it is is an opinion I do not share. People are allowed to disagree with you. Or, hey, discuss stuff on this discussion board.

But, like I said earlier, you struggle with folks offering a contrary opinion, so I'm not going to spend time continuing to do so.

But please don't misquote me. Or use ad hominems.

Bugleyman

First Post
You put that in quote marks, but it's not a quote. I did not say that; please do not claim that I did.

Ad hominem #3? Really, dude? Seriously, stop that. Argument, not the person, right?

No, what it is is an opinion I do not share. People are allowed to disagree with you. Or, hey, discuss stuff on this discussion board.

But, like I said earlier, you struggle with folks offering a contrary opinion, so I'm not going to spend time continuing to do so.

But please don't misquote me. Or use ad hominems.

You complain about ad hominems, and yet you feel free to assert that I "struggle with folks offering a contrary opinion?"

You know what? You win. My desire to purchase PDFs is clearly unreasonable. Thanks for so ably demonstrating my earlier point that contrary opinions are not welcome here.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
The problem with selling unencumbered PDFs is that there would be a huge incentive for groups to just share one person's copy, and probably even consider that tacitly encouraged by the format. I mean, if I just paid $30 or $50 for a PDF of the PHB, am I really going to even ask my friends to do the same on principle, or am I just going to email them the PDF? If it's a locked format (hopefully with lots of cool interactivity and extras in the dungeonscape tools to make it feel better than a normal PDF), I can at least shrug my shoulders and let them either find a pirated scan or pay for it themselves.

Now, that phenomenon of sharing within the group doesn't matter for adventure paths, because often the DM is the only one who would purchase a copy anyway. It doesn't even matter that much for splatbooks, since in my personal experience only one or two people in a typical group will really care enough to pay for any given splatbook. But the core books, almost everyone will want, so I'm not going to complain if they don't go out of their way to publish beautiful professional PDFs with absolutely no copy protection.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You complain about ad hominems, and yet you feel free to assert that I "struggle with folks offering a contrary opinion?"

You know what? You win. My desire to purchase PDFs is clearly unreasonable. Thanks for so ably demonstrating my earlier point that contrary opinions are not welcome here.

The issue you're struggling with is that contrary opinions *are* welcome here. Including those contrary to yours. Like mine.

If you feel that someone offering a contrary opinion to yours is a problem, a blog might work better, so you can control the responses. Perhaps only allow those who agree with you to reply, or somesuch. Many blogs operate very successfully that way, but it's not how EN World works, I'm afraid.

(Actually, EN World does offer blog functionality, too, which you're welcome to take advantage of!)

Feel free to continue offering your opinion, but I will not be engaging with you further. I'm sure there are others here who will gladly discuss the topic with you.

Remove ads