D&D 5E Where are the PDFs?

I don't even know that Dungeonscape will run on my system without me running a Windows box or emulator. Unlike ePub, which I can read just about anywhere and various programs will convert to any format I need. If it works offline, on my computer I can emulate the necessary hardware, but that's a pain and of limited portability. Open-format documents are way easier to handle then closed-format documents handled by proprietary programs.
I believe they have said it will be web based. So it should be O/S neutral.
IIRC...

Pandamonium87

First Post
My recollection is that Wizards was selling PDFs for cover price, but maybe I'm misremembering??? If they *were* you'd be paying MORE for the PDF than for the Amazon hardcopy.

Wow I didn't know that. i think it's very stupid selling a PDF at the same price as the hardcopy because you totally eradicate the possibility of trying the game at a low cost. That's what worked with me with a lot of PF products: I tried the PDF version at a lower cost and then I bought the hardcopy. I did the same with D&D Next, but WotC lost my, let's say 15, dollars for a PDF copy.

They should realize that we're not in the 90's anymore. I hope that DungeonScape will give me the possibility of having digital copies offline and at a lower cost.

Bugleyman

First Post
I'd be happy if they simply offered the PDF at full cover price. That seems like it wouldn't anger book retailers, but would at least allow for a legal acquisition method.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Umm...literally the entire industry offers PDFs, except WotC. Do you think they do that because they don't make money?

I know! Also, almost the entire industry only releases PDFs! And the entire industry doesn't have articles on The Guardian, The Times, The New York Times, and Forbes! And the entire industry doesn't have movies and toys and comic books and video games! WotC should totally model themselves on the "entire industry". I reckon Hasbro will, like, totally collapse if a D&D PDF doesn't appear for sale in, like, the next week (as opposed to the totally free 100+ page PDF that is totally free).

Look, I get that this is basically a D&D fan site, and people are going to fight the good fight, but come on. PDFs aren't some crazy cutting edge thing any more.

Really, dude? Your best argument is ad hominem? That's all you got?

Or, short version: patience, dude. An asteroid isn't about to hit the earth. You'll probably get it. Maybe not on your personal demanding timeline, but that's life.

Yeah, I know. "But... internet".

Last edited:

Torg Smith

First Post
Also FFG is not allowed to release Star Wars products they charge for in PDF. They do release Warhammer 40K in PDF so this is not a FFG decision but a license requirement.

Bugleyman

First Post
Really, dude? Your best argument is ad hominem? That's all you got?

Beats your "WotC will go out of business" straw man. :cool:

It's quite simple, really. I like to buy free-standing digital versions of the RPGs I play for use on my iPad. If WotC won't provide the products I want, I'll give my money to a competitor that does. And I am quite clearly not the only one.

No hyperbole or sense of entitlement required.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Beats your "WotC will go out of business" straw man.

I think maybe you didn't understand my post. It didn't say what you think it said. It said the opposite to what you think it said.

It's quite simple, really. I'd like to be able to buy a digital version of the game for my iPad. If WotC won't provide one, I'll take my money elsewhere.

You can. Via DungeonScape. If your whole interest in D&D - as opposed to another game - is in that they specifically provide a PDF for you, I guess that's your prerogative. For me, personally, it's about the game, not the formats, but it's totally your call. Pathfinder's a great game, too. I recommend FATE, also.

Bugleyman

First Post
I think maybe you didn't understand my post. It didn't say what you think it said. It said the opposite to what you think it said.

Perhaps. I think you were suggesting that I was saying WotC would go out of business if I didn't get my way. As I didn't say that, it was a straw man.

If I'm wrong, feel free to clarify.

You can. Via DungeonScape.

DungeonScape does not exist yet. And when it does, all signs point to it offering content in a proprietary format. If that proves untrue, I will withdraw my complaint.

If your whole interest in D&D - as opposed to another game - is in that they specifically provide a PDF for you, I guess that's your prerogative. For me, personally, it's about the game, not the formats, but it's totally your call. Pathfinder's a great game, too. I recommend FATE, also.

I own FATE...in hard copy and PDF. Likewise for Pathfinder. And 13th Age. And Castles and Crusades. I want to "come back" to D&D -- my "whole interest in D&D" isn't solely whether they provide PDFs (it's not unlikely that I've been playing D&D since before you were born (1984)). But today, I require a comprehensive digital edition, and a company that fails to provide one simply isn't meeting my needs. If and when that changes, great, but that is the reality today.

Finally, I'm entirely unsure why you seem to be taking this personally.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perhaps. I think you were suggesting that I was saying WotC would go out of business if I didn't get my way. As I didn't say that, it was a straw man.

If I'm wrong, feel free to clarify.

You are wrong. It was the diametric opposite of that.

DungeonScape does not exist yet. And when it does, all signs point to it being a proprietary format. If that proves untrue, I will withdraw my complaint.

So is it about the format? I'm unclear. A digital format that isn't PDF isn't OK for you?

I own FATE...in hard copy and PDF. Likewise for Pathfinder. And 13th Age. And Castles and Crusades. I want to "come back" to D&D -- my "whole interest in D&D" isn't solely whether they provide PDFs (it's not unlikely that I've been playing D&D since before you were born (1984)). But today, I require a comprehensive digital edition, and a company that fails to provide one simply isn't meeting my needs. If and when that changes, great, but that is the reality today.

They said there will be digital editions.

And I was born long before 1984. Please don't make weird condescending guesses about my personal life.

Finally, I'm entirely unsure why you seem to be taking this personally.

Ad hominem again? I'm disagreeing with you. That happens in discussions; especially on a discussion board. No need to get personal. Honestly, I don't particularly care. I was debating. But these slightly weird references to my age (very wrong) and personal jabs are making this quite uncomfortable.

Remove ads