Where be the single-classed goodness?

Which of these would you play purely single-classed?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I chose all the PHB base classes (am not familiar with any others).

If it fits my character idea then I will play any character single-classed.

Usually I start a character as single-classed, but then if something happens in game to change that character's perspective and they have the opportunity - then I will multi-class.

I am not one to plan a character except at the most basic and vague level.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I'd play any class singly if the abilities cannot be replicated by a PrC which also gives me additional benefits.

Example: Wizard. By taking a PrC, you gain full or almost full casting progression and additional benefits. If you really care about the Familiar, you can take Obtain Familiar. What do you lose? A couple of bonus feats, nothing else.

However, being a Druid and taking a PrC means you miss out on SOMETHING of the class. I don't think there's a PrC that gives you the Animal Companion, Wild Shaping AND Spellcasting Progression. Druid, I would play it all 20 levels.

Simm

First Post
I like using only a single class so I voted for every class. There are some classes I would not want to play but if I did I would be willing to play just that class forever

The_Gneech

Explorer
Usually my character ideas don't quite fit any one class; if I had a character who did, however, it would probably be a cleric, barbarian, monk, or ranger.

-The Gneech :cool:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmm a flaw with this poll is that It is limited by 1) classes I would be willing to play for more than a few sessions, 2) classes that I would prefer to play as a single class and 3) multiclassing for story reasons that have little to do with power.

I play a fair amount of multiclassed PCs bending thier path as the story unfolds, I have played thief with a redemption storyline in mind (he never got there) and a figher with growing faith (cleric, wrong god for a paladin)

Clerics are good single class candidates becaues many use HB gods, and published PrCs dont fit them exactly.

Psions have few good PrC choices and anything else hurts manifester lvl.

Dread Nercos are a good single class - few other things would provide any benfits - I heard a case for a rogue lvl or 2 but I would need a story reason to do it.

Thanee

First Post
I have voted only for a subset of the classes (PHB and Complete series w/o psionics).

From those, quiet a few are appealing as single class characters.

Sorcerer and wizard I have played single class, but would normally go for a prestige class (if available), just because there is pretty much no reason not to. It usually just adds some new fun abilities and costs a feat and a few skill points or so.

Havn't voted for monk, altho it's an obvious choice, simply because I don't want to play a single-classed monk. ;)

Hmm... and I think I forgot to vote for paladin (because I usually don't play paladins). :)

Bye
Thanee

Aus_Snow

First Post
Thought I'd add my own votes. 'Bout time, really. :)

I suppose I was expecting to see the Wizard 1st. Some of the others have surprised me (and others, it seems) though. Interesting.

MonsterMash

First Post
For a lot of reasons its a waste to multi-class a cleric or druid in 3.5, as those classes are very powerful. Bard can be versatile, but lacks any outstanding strengths except as a support class. Personally I tend not to enjoy much multiclassing, but that is me and my approach to the game, though I would do it with say fighter/rogue to produce a swashbuckling type character. As I don't own or use splatbooks I tend to just think in terms of how to use the core base classes.

Thanee

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
I suppose I was expecting to see the Wizard 1st.

I would actually expect cleric (almost no good PrC around for them), druid, paladin and ranger to be on the top. Well, and the monk. ;) Wizard right behind them, since they are certainly good for single class play, but there are also plenty PrC, which they can benefit from a lot; same, if not even moreso, for the sorcerer.

Bye
Thanee

shilsen

Adventurer
Vorput said:
Cleric?!

I'm amazed cleric is currently the highest choice...

Now call me a power-gamers I guess... but there doesn't seem to be anything to keep me in the cleric class after level... 1. Not if there are niche prestige classes available- clerics who are straight classed just seem too generic to me, there are a goodly number of flavored prestige classes out there for the cleric that keep spell casting progression and also offer flavor and cool abilities.

Yeah, as I said- I'm amazed by this poll in that regard.

Vorp
Okay, you're a powergamer. Happy now :)?

Remove ads