Where did campaigns stop?

As noted above, 2E charts generally covered only up to lvl 20 (or perhaps had a listing of "20+"), but there was no rule that limited advancement to 20 as a hard cap. People may have THOUGHT there was supposed to be a cap because the charts all topped out at 20, but this was not actually the case.

As far as when campaigns ended or at what levels PC's topped out prior to 2E it depends entirely on the campaign. Personally, I played in a campaign that lasted at least 10 years but the xp system we used made for slow advancement and less than a handful of player characters made it to 20 or higher. However, reading letters to Dragon Magazine it was clear that many people ran campaigns with characters well into the 20's or higher. Extreme cases had characters with hundreds of levels but I really suspect they were just doing it wrong and had nobody in the room who was more experienced in these things to tell them. :)

I surmise that most campaigns did end with PC's somewhere in the low teens or often before reaching title level. Games ended (and still do) for lots of reasons. They often seem to just sort of fizzle out - my own campaigns often did during the summer months when we were out of school and players preferred to be doing other things on Saturdays rather than spending noon-to-midnight playing D&D with me. But players move away. They lose interest in the game. The DM runs out of enthusiasm or ideas - maybe someone else then steps in as DM for a while but the previous campaign never re-starts. Schedules change. Players get jobs, take trips, get girlfriends, etc. Occasionally people decide not to join in the move to a new edition. They get addicted to WoW or other games (computer or whatever).

If anything the odds are actually AGAINST any given campaign running for more than, say, 6-9 months. How many levels PC's accumulate in that time is dependent upon how often people play, how long the sessions last, how much they concentrate on combat as opposed to dedicated roleplaying, how fast they get through combats, how much xp the DM awards, and since we're talking about 1E here - how many encounters with level-draining undead without recourse to restoration? How much of a jerk is the DM about inflicting xp penalties for "alignment changes" or other disapproved PC behaviors? How many PC's just simply died early and often, because that sort of thing happened A LOT in AD&D but it was expected and accepted as just part of the game? You could play 1E for YEARS without anyone ever even making title level simply because the character would die or be retired so the player could try a new PC.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Actually I remember my DM having to throw dragons by groups of threes to challenge me while I was 13th level ... They were such pushovers in 1e.

Stormonu

Legend
Overall, even into 3rd edition, I haven't had a campaign get past 15th level. More often than not, my players are itching by that time to try out some new characters and we end up starting a new campaign.

kitsune9

Adventurer
In 2e I had a limit of about 14th level before retiring the campaign. For 3.x, I went as high as 24th level in one campaign, and 22nd level in another. Since I'm running Pathfinder, I don't see running high levels a problem either.

When Epic Level Handbook first came out, I did create a short adventure for 39th level characters. Kind of long on time to create, but short on playing.

Henry

Autoexreginated
In Ye Olden Dayes, for our groups we would play from 1st to about 6th or 7th level and then the players would get tired of the campaign, another player would want to start a new campaign, and we'd retire those PCs and start again. By this time, it was in real life 6 to 9 months spent playing, and we'd want to hit the reset button. The highest campaign I played in 1st or 2nd Ed was one campaign to about 9th level.

It wasn't until 3E that I actually played a PC fully from 1 to 20.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
All of the campaigns I played in generally ended when the DM said "I need a break--just for a couple weeks or a month." Then someone else would start a new campaign and we never went back. :erm:

kitsune9

Adventurer
All of the campaigns I played in generally ended when the DM said "I need a break--just for a couple weeks or a month." Then someone else would start a new campaign and we never went back. :erm:

I know what those days are like on both sides of the screen. In my 2e days, my players were fairly argumentative lot and they took a lot of energy out of me, so when I would take a break, that would pretty much end the campaign.

I played in a few campaigns and the DM got tired and burned out, take a break, and that was the last of the campaign.

Remove ads