• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did you find your first groups?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Grade school. Had the old Marvel Super Heroes game that we used to play during library hour and well, from there one of my friends told me, "Let me tell you about another game TSR makes. This one is much better."

Still love Super Hero RPGs and with Mutants & Masterminds, Hero 5th ed and others, have a lot of options, but D&D is still one of the great games I enjoy.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
My first group found me. They wanted to try this new "D&D" game that came out and were not the most avid readers anybody had ever met, so they came to me as someone who was considered a "gifted" reader in the elementary school we were attending. I was very suspicious at first, because these people had always picked on me. Now they were asking me to read all of these books, which they were going to loan me, and be a "Dungeon Master." I thought they were setting me up for something. Instead, they just wanted me to read everything in the books an dexplain the game to them, as they were having trouble understanding.

I gamed with that group once, then went out and bought as many of the currently available books as I could find. I introduced the game to the person I hung out with the most, then to other people I knew from my neighborhood. We were mostly playing one-on-one games, since that was all we could come up with (my friends didn't associate with one another really). I gamed in a few other games over time, including in a game with an abusive DM, who could have been arrested for some of his activities during sessions, and ran a few games, but never more than 2 players and a DM.

Eventually, I drifted away from the first friend I taught and had a huge argument with another over his cheating. So, I took his character sheet and went home. A few weeks later, he came to my house and sheepishly invited me to DM a game for him and some new friends he had met. Two new families had moved into the neighborhood with children who were gamers and he met them at the community pool. So, that afternoon, I DM'ed my first game with four players. It was great! Since the characters everybody brought to the session from their previous campaigns (and they were attached to them and didn't want to roll new ones, and since they were high-powered PC's), I ran them through Tomb of Horrors. The player whose PC I had taken immediately walked into the disintegrate trap at the beginning of the adventure.

After only a few months, we were playing every day. That group was my first "real group" and I am still in touch with 2 of the original players a little bit (see them at least once a year - they are brothers, 1 in the military, the other games at the FLGS) 21 years later. The membership changed over the years, but it was still basically the same group for 6 years. That is the gaming that I reminisce about now.

Back then, we met new players in school or at the pool (I worked there 2 summers as a lifeguard too).

Then, with the bad taste 2E left in my mouth, the demands of college and then marriage, then moving away from my hometown and getting a teaching job, I drifted away from the game and didn't give it a thought from 1993-1996. Sure, I occasionally looked through my old books, or created a character or two, but no gaming. Then, a funny thing happened. I noticed that some of my high school students were carrying around D&D books. They were 2E books, but still, these were teenagers playing D&D, a game I thought was a fad of the 80's and was now dead. These were the popular kids at the school where I was teaching. In 1997, after a few of them graduated, I ran a game for two of them. Then in 1998, my brother passed away and in 1999 my mom had a stroke. I had to find a teaching job closer to my hometown and ended up teaching at the high school I graduated from. Some of my former students actually game to visit and game with me after graduation. Then Hurricane Floyd hit while my wife was out of town for a few weeks and I was without power for over a week. I found a gaming store and discovered that a new edition was coming out, so I found myself invited to run a game in the store. So, in 2000, I found myself DM'ing again.

This time, all of my players came from the FLGS, except one who worked at the high school with me. One of those that came from seeing my poster at the FLGS was in my group back in the late 80's and another of that group played a few sessions with us. Eventually, one of my former students came to town to attend college and joined my group. After a few years, we moved out of the gaming store and only found players through either students that graduated from the high school where I taught or were players brought in by current players in the group.

Recenlty, when I made my transition to a more mature group (no players under 21), we had trouble finding players. So, I posted on sites like this and met most of my current group from one contact on a messageboard.

I think the ways we find players change with your stage in life and the available technology and resources available locally (is there and FLGS?).

My apologies for such a long post, but once I started typing, nostalgia took over.

DM

Mercule

Adventurer
When I was ten, I went to a "day camp" at the local YMCA during the summer. At some point one of the other kids started talking about this game and it sounded fun. We managed to wrangle some time in one of the conference rooms and played for a few afternoons. I was totally hooked.

I bought my first set (the red box) at a Walgreens. Most of my 1E books came from Kay Bee Toys. The rest came from one of two local hobby shops -- one specialized in model trains, the other in coins and stitchery stuff -- both of which have since gotten out of games because of poor treatment from distributors and misc. WotC-related complaints.

I never even knew there were LGS-type establishments until I got to college. Even then, I didn't buy much from them for the first couple of years. It wasn't until I got interested in "advanced" products -- every little suppliment and/or old, out-of-print games -- that I started really frequenting the LGS. So, my first decade of gaming was spent without the support of a LGS.

SWBaxter

First Post
Glyfair said:
Where did you find your first group or first groups? Did you drop our of gaming and then pick up? Where did you find that group?

I built my first group; I was the first to hear about this AD&D thing in my school, got the books, and introduced it to my friends. I discovered that one of my friends had an older brother who also played, so that gave me exposure to another group to help work out various rules problems (1E AD&D wasn't exactly the easiest game to learn in isolation). Gamer pool fluctuated, but was somewhere close to 20 people I believe.

That took me from about grade 6 through to the end of high school. My second group I joined at university, when I roomed with a guy who'd played a bit when he was younger but never really got a group going. He had some friends who were interested, so we got together and played in a D&D tournament - pretty fun, with me being the only one with much of an idea about the rules. One of the guys got the role-playing bug really bad, and soon enough was DMing a pretty epic campaign. That group lasted through university.

I eventually dropped out of university (for reasons unrelated to RPGing), kicked around aimlessly for a bit, and then decided to enroll in a community college course. I quickly ran into my next group, when I found a couple of guys from one of my class playing Champions in the cafeteria. They were happy to have some new blood, and that group - despite occasional breaks - lasted through many games and campaigns for about 10 years.

Sadly, I had to leave that group about a year ago, when I moved from the Toronto area to Vancouver. Still haven't really found a regular group here, though I've played in a fair amount of one-shots. Pretty sure I'm not done with regular gaming sessions, just feel like I should be somewhat on hiatus right now. I have no idea what my next group will look like, but I'm sure I'll build it from among my friends and acquaintances, just like the others.

MacMathan

Explorer
Always school for me. First around 4th grade, then a different group for high-school that I have continue to play with for some 15+ years.

Of course back when I was buying the advanced books they were sold in Toys R Us.

VirgilCaine

First Post
I ran my first game with a friend of mine and my little brother in my house a few years ago. Didn't have the books or anything. Thank Wizards for the SRD.

Venport

First Post
I was on a double date with my girl friend, Her best friend and her boyfriend, the guys and the girld started talking in seprate conversations. some how he started asking me if i like LOTRs and other Scifie fantacy stuff. soon he said that i should come and try out D&D with him, my girl friend encoraged it because i did not know anyone in the area because I had just moved. that Januarly the group finial got their stuff together and i was Hooked. My girl frined hated iand still dose because it not time with her.

StevetheNPC

Explorer
My first group was just myself and two of my friends from 9th grade high school (1982), one of who had the red boxed set. One of those two hooked me up with another group of folks that were all 5-10 years my elder. I learned a lot about gaming from that group, and experienced numerous different games - Chivalry & Sorcery, Space Opera and Champions to name a few.

After high school I joined the US Navy (1987) and my role playing was pretty much limited to the occasional one-shot game with a couple of other geeks that lived in the same barracks as me. We did lots of other tabletop gaming though. Four years later I left the service, met and married my (still) wife, and had two babies. No gaming to speak of during that time, other than the occasional attempt at a pbem game.

Fast forward to 1996 and the birth of our second daughter. The non-stop screaming for three months lead me to a local comics/game shop one evening (needed to get out of the house) where I picked up an issue of Dragon magazine, which I had not read in many years. In it I discovered a new sci-fi roleplaying game that TSR was about to release called Alternity. I bought the books as they were released. All of 'em. I can't recall exactly how it happened (I think I had an Alternity wallpaper on my computer at work, or something) but one of my co-workers discovered I played Alternity and invited me to join their group. We've done mostly D&D (2nd & 3rd editions) and Alternity over the last 7-8 years. Several members have moved away, come back, and moved again but three of the original members have recently put the group back together and added several other co-workers to the mix.

So I guess in summary that would be:

1. Friends at school
2. Friends in the military
3. Friends at work

and a local game shop has never been a part of me finding a group.

Cheers,
Steven

Remove ads