D&D General Where do New DMs Go for Help Online?

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
For those curious about Justin's musings: www.justinalexander.com
I used to quite like him then I asked him if he would like a review copy of Level Up and he responded with a level of anger I found extreme.

Apparently he backed a Kickstarter to keep EnWorld running and then managed to get himself a ban for his behaviour.

No offence but that must have been quite some behaviour.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I used to quite like him then I asked him if he would like a review copy of Level Up and he responded with a level of anger I found extreme.

Apparently he backed a Kickstarter to keep EnWorld running and then managed to get himself a ban for his behaviour.

This hobby seems to attract maniacs!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've been enjoying Arbiter of Worlds YouTube and sub stack from Alex Macris (yeah I know, boo hiss) though mostly for confirming my own biases I guess!
I can’t get passed the hate.
I regard Alexander as the top blogger for GMing advice, but I'm unsure how accessible he is for a complete novice.
A few of his articles are and most of his videos are quite accessible, but the bulk of his stuff seems to be rather in love with jargon.
I usually can't get through his diatribe. The first half of his blog posts are just rants. They waste my time. Not worth it to me.
Same. What little good he offers isn’t nearly worth suffering through his rants and schtick.
I find the Alexandrian very useful when on a topic I need, like the DH Remix and others. I'm not a fan of videos (inefficient timewise) so Mercer and Colville are pretty much out for me. But I still point people that way if they prefer videos.
I really hope the Matts’ games will include a lot of great referee advice.

jasper

Rotten DM
For Adventure League the Facebook group was better than the Current Discord Channel. Discord is kind of clunky on the phone and pc.
I just started using redditt about 6 six weeks ago regularly. The Adventure League group seems okay.
Angry x y z both DM, reviewer, and other people who use that stick. It gets old quick very quickly if foul language is regularly used.
DM Master Resources is good Facebook page.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
As for Reddit: I've never understood why it is considered such an important thing. I find it unwieldy, inefficient, and often more annoying than useful. I found the gaming community was a lot better when gaming information primarily came via Enworld and WotC Forums. When WotC stopped supporting and then killed off their forums, it was a huge step down in terms of quality and consistency of communication. People too often confuse innovation with progress.
Outside of the D&D space it was useful for quick answers to questions. With Googles searches being absolutely useless at present, appending 'reddit' to it tended to give pretty okay and relevant results to actually solving problems

Mind it was mostly the tech side of things being hit on that

S'mon

Legend

Alexander is definitely extremely abrasive!

S'mon

Legend
I can’t get passed the hate.

You won't see any hate in Macris's videos or blogs. He comes across quite sweet and extremely mild* mannered, zero Milo-style trolling. He's definitely a hardcore simulationist though.

*The opposite of Justin Alexander in that regard; they seem political opposites too. I like them both.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You won't see any hate in Macris's videos or blogs. He comes across quite sweet and extremely mild* mannered, zero Milo-style trolling. He's definitely a hardcore simulationist though.
I wouldn't know as I refuse to engage with his content because of the Milo association. And considering the mass of other creators to engage with, it's no real loss.
*The opposite of Justin Alexander in that regard; they seem political opposites too. I like them both.
So is the argument that Justin must be abrasive because he was booted from this forum? It's not hard to get kicked off a site. Just don't follow their rules. That doesn't make someone a jerk. Having read a lot of his blog posts and watched a fair amount of Justin's videos, he's definitely in the "sweet and extremely mild-mannered" category.

Remove ads