Where do publishers get maps? And more map questions!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Beyond Dyson Logos' awesome (and very generous) free commercial maps archive, where do publishers get maps?

Is there a central place to find commercial cartographers?

What's the process of hiring one? What are the going rates?

What kind of information do cartographers need when drawing a map?

Ideally, does someone come to them with a near-complete idea of what an area looks like, or do they come in with something more minimal, so that the cartographer can flesh it out with their creativity?

Marc Radle

Legend
Most publishers hire the cartographer to do specific maps for their product. They typical give the cartographer what is called a map turnover, which is usually some sort of map sketch for the cartographer to work from, and a document providing visual and/or context details for the locations on the map.

Sometimes a publisher will let the cartographer have more free reign to come up with something on their own, without much in the way of guidance from the publisher, particularly if the publisher doesn’t have clear idea what they want and plan on designing to the map that is created.

Top professional RPG cartographers are not cheap, but as with most things, you absolutely get what you pay for.

aia_2

Custom title
Afaik there are either freelance cartographers or hired ones... Needless to say a publisher has to be large enough to have an in-house cartographer (i am not sure whether or not wotc has an in-house one).

All the other questions have not a single reply as they change from case to case! The best proxy you can have to get a rough idea is to consider cartographers like rpg artists... You have more info on this aspect of the rpg development and i think these roles are not too far to compare them.

aia_2

Custom title
Where do the cartographers hang out? Is there a subreddit? A Facebook group? Do I have to start trolling DeviantArt?

In places like these:

...i know little about this and these are the two places i found (pls consider that i an not on fb or any other social...)

aia_2

Custom title
Btw if you're actively searching a "mapper", i can introduce a very kind and professional guy i recently met!

Teo Twawki

Coffee ruminator
Where do the cartographers hang out?
X Marks the Spot. That's really where they're at.

It's a lively, witty pub round the way--but does have its peaks and valleys--where the coffee and tea are off the charts. Everyone's witty and shows a good moral compass. Except the folk at that table over in the corner who might as well be mythical creatures with their latitude; they still haven't gotten their table cleared after sitting down... Seems the barback is oblivious and couldn't find his way around the place if you drew him a map.

Check the credits page of the Roy’s with maps on them that you like. Many of them have their own website with contact information. For instance Maps of Wonder is cartographer Chris Wests site.

Finding maps you like in published Marietta’s and the. Looking up the artist is one way to go about it.

Over at the cartographers guild forums there is a looking for a cartographer sub forum where you can post what your looking for and get responses.

Remove ads