Where do we stand on Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, "this isn't how I would include a trans NPC" means "I wouldn't include them."

It would be more efficient and forthright to say that up front.
I'm not saying you should never add a trans character to your game. But most games that try, fail at the execution.

For example, Hogwarts Legacy also has a lesbian character; an npc who goes out of her way to mention her wife in her quest dialogue. It sometimes feels terribly obvious when a game is inserting a token character just to tick a box. And then I feel they just shouldn't have bothered. Just make a fun game, tell a fun story, and stop trying to tick boxes.

There are games that do know how to represent LGBTQ characters fortunately.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm not saying you should never add a trans character to your game. But most games that try, fail at the execution.
Largely this happens when you don't actually have trans writers and designers working on the character. This is true for all sorts of people. How many times have you seen a black character in a video game and thought "has this person ever actually met a black person before?"

There's tons of smaller indie gems by queer creators with super awesome trans and queer characters. There's a whole bundle of them selling on itch.io right, I've linked them in the OP of my Magic School for the Greater Good thread.

Largely this happens when you don't actually have trans writers and designers working on the character. This is true for all sorts of people. How many times have you seen a black character in a video game and thought "has this person ever actually met a black person before?"

There's tons of smaller indie gems by queer creators with super awesome trans and queer characters. There's a whole bundle of them selling on itch.io right, I've linked them in the OP of my Magic School for the Greater Good thread.
I'm a big fan of Guild Wars 2, because in part it has very diverse representation. I do not know if they have trans writers, but they are definitely doing something right. They just write a compelling story that happens to include LGBTQ characters, without hitting you over the head with it.

So, big games are capable of doing it. If they hire good writers, and aren't just inserting token characters to tick a box.

The sad thing is, Hogwarts Legacy has a pretty good LGBTQ friendly character creator that I feel other RPG's could learn a thing or two from. But it is largely overshadowed by everything else.

Undrave

Legend
I think it's odd to say you enjoy Harry Potter but hate JKR. Maybe that's me. I thought it was relevant in light of some earlier comments.

I read some gross comments earlier about how it's okay to like Lovecraft because he's dead and therefore can no longer financially profit, and that it's a shame Rowling is still among the living, or some such rot. Surely, if it is an acceptable opinion round these parts to wish a human dead so that they can enjoy her fantasy world better, it's acceptable for people to have the opinion that it's okay to like her.
Everybody dies, it's not a matter of it, it's a matter of when. Saying “things will be different when Rowling’s dead” doesn’t mean I wish her to die NOW, simply that it’s inevitable that she will die one day and after that it won’t matter if you buy Potter stuff or not unless her estate continues her dubious work.
So it's not okay to like JK Rowling because Gradine is directly affected by her ideas?

Sorry kids, no Harry Potter before bed. Gradine has been affected.
Never said that, but rather that Gradine's opinion on the matter has more weight than mine.

Sacrosanct

Legend

For example, Hogwarts Legacy also has a lesbian character; an npc who goes out of her way to mention her wife in her quest dialogue. It sometimes feels terribly obvious when a game is inserting a token character just to tick a box. And then I feel they just shouldn't have bothered. Just make a fun game, tell a fun story, and stop trying to tick boxes.

There are games that do know how to represent LGBTQ characters fortunately.

I am a cis person. So when I wrote Chromatic Dungeons and wanted to include diverse personalities, I reached out to those groups. The primary person/character in Chromatic Dungeons that I use to help explain rules is Alex (Player) and Faridah (PC). You really wouldn't know they are transgender personalities unless you really asked (they do use "they/them" pronouns though) because the people I reached out to for advice (the talented Liz Courts for the art, and Evlyn Moreau for sensitivity reading) pretty much said the same thing you are saying here. They are people first, and what makes them interesting is more than their identity. So unless it's important to the point, just present them like any other person.

I honestly think that if games that try keep failing, it's because they aren't asking the community that they want to include. Sure, no group is a monolith and you'll never get everyone to agree with what's Ok and not, but if you ask a lot of people, you can get a good idea what is generally going to be ok.

1676575142607.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads