Where do we stand on Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Never said that, but rather that Gradine's opinion on the matter has more weight than mine.
It's also worth pointing out that I do not represent or speak for all trans women, to say nothing of all trans or gender non-conforming folx. Honestly, as a lower-middle class woman living in California (and the part that might as well be Narnia for as connected to the rest of the state or the world for that matter) I'm probably less impacted by her than a lot of people, but there are many people who I do know, and do care about, that are directly in the crossfire of what JKR is peddling. And if I've learned anything as American citizen these past few years it's not to take anything for granted.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Man, you are not kidding.
Fun story; when I was a student at the University here I was doing check-ins to the dorms, and a group of foreign exchange students roll up. One kid steps out in sandals and a Hawaiian shirt. It is mid-August, and it is absolutely dumping rain. He says to me, in an almost comically thick French accent, "I thought this was California"

You can't act on information you don't have. And if they seem to be committed to hiding behind a false front of being decent in public, I don't really care what they think, because if it truly is hidden behind the façade, it isn't influencing or hurting anyone.

Yeah, you have a point. I also have anxiety, so worrying comes naturally to me.

At least if they shut up about it they're not making those ideas seem valid in the public sphere nor propagating them further. I'd rather a silent Lovecraft than a chatty Rowling, and that guy was too racists for the other racists.

Very true. Lovecraft doesn't have a Twitter account.

There are definitely people, of all walks of life, who have views that you (or I) violently disagree with, but who know that there's nothing to gain from walking around fighting with people all the time. Better to get along with your coworkers or sell to your customers, or whatever, rather than pick fights that won't accomplish anything other than to make the world a worse place.

The folks who want to make a big stink about it online are either activists who think they can change minds (and hopefully they do so in ways other than just starting fights online -- otherwise they're just being performative for social media clout) or people who are trying to replace declining income with politically based replacement revenue. Or they're random anonymous weirdos who need a different hobby.

It still boggles my mind that in the face of Disney money and success, Gina Carano couldn't just keep her views quiet. That saying harmful things was more important than success on that scale.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Azathoth, aka "The Muttering Lord of All Things", aka "The Nuclear Chaos", aka "That last amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity", aka "Twitter."

apocalypse-now-marlon-brando.gif

elon-musk-snl.gif

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Very true. Lovecraft doesn't have a Twitter account.
Of all the authors to give an automated Twitter bot to, tweeting out quotes from his works, Lovecraft should probably stay near the bottom. (There are some great Mark Twain and Shakespeare bots, though.)
It still boggles my mind that in the face of Disney money and success, Gina Carano couldn't just keep her views quiet. That saying harmful things was more important than success on that scale.
whispers

There are a lot of celebrities who used Wisdom as their dump stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases