D&D General Where do you design your adventures?

Where do you design your adventuers?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I spend most of the week-and change between gaming thinking about things, turning things over in my head, sometimes working on some part of the setting where the characters aren't.

Then, a day or so before the session, I sit at the table in the game room and write stuff down in a desperate rush to be at least somewhat ready when I sit down to game.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I prepare my adventures in my home office. I'm usually working on three projects at a time and I take a little bite off each one every day - write one blurb or encounter, design one monster, flesh out some chamber or whatever. When one adventure is complete, I add a new one to the pipeline. I find this works better than trying to rush through one adventure at a time and losing steam halfway through.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My place isn't big enough to have a gaming room, or a living room separate from the kitchen, or a basement of any kind like all the houses where I live. It can be a little cramped at times. I mostly work on the couch for research, reading and doodling, and at the kitchen table for writing stuff down. I'm pretty old school too in that I like to do the initial design work with pencil and paper.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Not sure I really design "adventures" in a traditional sense, but it can really be just about anywhere. Have a conversation with an npc in my head to get a sense of who they are or if I want to have specific mannerisms or speech patter while I'm trying to get to sleep at night for example.

So the overall picture or encounter/place/npc concept comes together just about anywhere. If I have some brilliant thoughts (pretty rare) I may jot down something in my evernote app. But for the most part I just wait until I get home in front of a computer and type up notes.

Once I'm sitting in front of a computer I type up my notes in a semi-coherent fashion along with determining details such as specific monsters and numbers for encounters. I also go back after the session and jot down some after-session notes. So most of the real work is in our home office, the overall story is just about anywhere.

ccs

41st lv DM
I checked everything but the hot tub. And if I had a hot tub I'd have checked that also.

Most of the work is done in my head - so I can do it almost anywhere anytime.
Very often though lying in bed before I fall asleep though.

When I write stuff down?
*Often curled up in my favorite chair on Wed evening.
*Sometimes over breakfast/lunch at my local Denny's (a diner chain here in the U.S.)

atanakar

Hero
My place isn't big enough to have a gaming room, or a living room separate from the kitchen, or a basement of any kind like all the houses where I live. It can be a little cramped at times. I mostly work on the couch for research, reading and doodling, and at the kitchen table for writing stuff down. I'm pretty old school too in that I like to do the initial design work with pencil and paper.
I do everthing by hand by choice, to get away from the screens. I only use the computer to communicate with the players via Messenger and our FB group private page. I find that if I write or draw on the computer I elaborate too much instead of remaining somewhat vague. I helps my improvise more during the sessions.

Oofta

Legend
I do everthing by hand by choice, to get away from the screens. I only use the computer to communicate with the players via Messenger and our FB group private page. I find that if I write or draw on the computer I elaborate too much instead of remaining somewhat vague. I helps my improvise more during the sessions.

So what you're saying is that you can read your own handwriting? Not all of us are so gifted! :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases