D&D General Where do you design your adventures?

Where do you design your adventuers?

atanakar

Hero
My gaming room. A bit small but since I never play with more than 3 other players it works. For my current campaign we play at a friend's house. He has a large table and a central location.

CkzmfNj.jpg

BNFC5n9.jpg

Generally on the couch in my living room. For years I would sit on the floor with a bunch of books and maps spread out all around me. But as I've gotten older, spending time cross-legged or seiza on the floor has gotten less comfortable, for some reason...

But I certainly do think about it elsewhere, and you never know when an idea will bubble up. Often when I'm commuting. And of course there's the dreaded "right before I fall asleep" when it's the flip of a coin whether or not I'll remember it the next day.

My gaming room. A bit small but since I never play with more than 3 other players it works.
nice. Wouldn't have worked for the last group I was in.... had me DMing for 7 players... 2 married couples and 3 singles. Luckily, the married couples both lived in the on campus housing, and they had fair sized living rooms with enough chairs for everyone (once we all pitched in on some folding chairs). We did try playing in my trailer once, and we were pretty squeezed in...

I spend most of the week-and change between gaming thinking about things, turning things over in my head, sometimes working on some part of the setting where the characters aren't.

Then, a day or so before the session, I sit at the table in the game room and write stuff down in a desperate rush to be at least somewhat ready when I sit down to game.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only DM that never feels quite prepared. I have the storyline down. It's creating all the NPC's and random encounter tables that is getting me at the moment.

I prepare my adventures in my home office. I'm usually working on three projects at a time and I take a little bite off each one every day - write one blurb or encounter, design one monster, flesh out some chamber or whatever. When one adventure is complete, I add a new one to the pipeline. I find this works better than trying to rush through one adventure at a time and losing steam halfway through.

I only work on my current campaign, but I also try to do a little bit each day. I keep telling myself that will eventually decrease the frantic rush the night before a game, but I haven't seen it yet.

I do everthing by hand by choice, to get away from the screens. I only use the computer to communicate with the players via Messenger and our FB group private page. I find that if I write or draw on the computer I elaborate too much instead of remaining somewhat vague. I helps my improvise more during the sessions.

I'm mostly with you. Our adventure log is a shared document online and I keep a current list of spells I've used online (so I don't have to copy them over and over and over again by hand). Other than that, though, I only have player backgrounds and any handouts I need to create on the computer. Character sheets, including NPC's are filled in by hand and notes tend to consist of sticky notes everywhere or scraps of paper stuck inside my DM binder -- which has all my campaign materials, neatly tabbed according to location/faction.

Have a conversation with an npc in my head to get a sense of who they are or if I want to have specific mannerisms or speech patter while I'm trying to get to sleep at night for example.
Man in White Coat: "Is your neighbor talking to himself again?"
Neighbor: "Yea, something about a magical sword and some imaginary country."
MiWC: "Do you feel he's dangerous?"
Neighbor: "Oofta? Naw, he's just one of those original geeks. You know, those funny dice and imaginary dragons."
MiWC:" Ah, ok. Well here's my card, call us if you need us to come take him away."

Oofta

Legend
Man in White Coat: "Is your neighbor talking to himself again?"
Neighbor: "Yea, something about a magical sword and some imaginary country."
MiWC: "Do you feel he's dangerous?"
Neighbor: "Oofta? Naw, he's just one of those original geeks. You know, those funny dice and imaginary dragons."
MiWC:" Ah, ok. Well here's my card, call us if you need us to come take him away."
they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
They're coming to take me away ho-ho hee-hee ha-haaa
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
In their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa

Remove ads