D&D 5E Where in FR do you want the next big adventure book to go?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hi all!

So I think it's fairly obvious that WotC has a running pattern when it comes to their annual adventure books; they pick a region or city of the Forgotten Realms and go very deep into that area, fleshing it out so that an adventuring party could conceivably run an entire campaign in just that area.

In Tomb of Annihilation, we went to Chult. In Dragon Heist, we saw a pretty detailed Waterdeep. In Descent of Avernus, we begin in Baldur's Gate and get a gazetteer for the city. In Rime of the Frostmaiden, we visit the region of Icewind Dale.

I think it's pretty clear that the next book will likely be similar, either picking a specific region as a jumping-off point to something broader (looking at you, Spelljammer), or just a deep dive into a specific region we haven't seen much of in 5E.

What regions of the Forgotten Realms would y'all like to see revisited? Cormyr? Amn? Thay? The Moonshae Islands? Lantan?

I'm curious as to what regions you FR fans most long to see again, and what adventure you would want to have there!

G

Guest User

Straight outa Faerun, to be blunt.

If we must stay in the Realms, after the heavy Netherse presence in Rime, I would love to read an adventure with Larlock as the BBEG. Larlock is simultaneously Iconic and obscure.

I also would like to see something in Amn or Calimshan.
I will absolutely, not buy anything set in the Moonshae Isles.
The Moonshae Isles, like Camelot, is a silly place, and best advoid.

Thay or Halruaa. Give me a place with a ton of magic, whether its flying airships or fields of skeletons harvesting potatoes. What I'd really love is The Bloodstone Lands, but after Icewind Dale, that's not happening any time soon. Zakhara or Calimshan would be cool, as well.

Barring something more outré, I'd be happy with a return to the Dalelands.

aco175

Legend
I could see them pushing out from established 5e places. Cormyr seems like an extension of the Avernus line and it has a lot of history and 2e books. It is also a safe place to design in without getting a lot of new stuff- for good or ill.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think they are going to finish the "Big Three" cities of the Sword Coast within the near future. These cities are Waterdeep (WD: DH, DotMM), Baldur's Gate (BG: DiA), and Neverwinter (which has not yet been done). I would like them to do Neverwinter just to get more information about that city in 5e, but the main place I would want them to do the next big adventure book is Anauroch.

Last edited:

My first preference, The Unapprochable East.

I like the Sword Coast, but I figure it is a bit done to death.

There are some really interesting features to the countries of the East, that take us away from the city-state, rather vanilla, setting of the West. For a start, there are countries. The west is a bunch of city-states, surrounded by ungoverened lands. The east has countries, with borders and histories.

"Monsters" are not monsters. Half orcs and orcs are just "folk", especially in the Great Dale and the Border Areas. Gnolls are a common sight, being used as law enforcement in Thay.

There are vast differences in social structures, with each the countries being very distinct. Aglarond is ruled by a force of nature (the Simbul), Rashemon is matriarchical and ruled by a secredt cabal of witches, Thay is industrialised, with slavery a key part of its economy.

There is a barbarian invasion from the northeast (as told in Troy Denning's books), a cultural invasion from Kara Tur, and really interesting stories about the gods of the lands just south (the story of the Mulhurandi gods is really interesting).

If nothing else, lets go see where Minsc and his dajemma Dynaheir grew up .

My second preference, lets go back to where it all began - Shadowdale.

Explore Myth Drannor. Foil (or aid) Zhent plots. Get involved in Dales politics. Find out where the Calendar of Harptos came from and why the years are numbered in Dale Reckoning. Form an adventuring company and register it with the Cormyrean crown.

Last edited:

"Monsters" are not monsters. Half orcs and orcs are just "folk", especially in the Great Dale and the Border Areas. Gnolls are a common sight, being used as law enforcement in Thay.

There are vast differences in social structures, with each the countries being very distinct. Aglarond is ruled by a force of nature (the Simbul), Rashemon is matriarchical and ruled by a secredt cabal of witches, Thay is industrialised, with slavery a key part of its economy.

There is a barbarian invasion from the northeast (as told in Troy Denning's books), a cultural invasion from Kara Tur, and really interesting stories about the gods of the lands just south (the story of the Mulhurandi gods is really interesting).

I love the old 3e unapproachable east, but it's changed a LOT in poorly-explained ways since then. In 5e, the Simbul is long dead (boooo!) and gnolls are slavering reasonless demonspawn (also boooo!) rather than free-willed humanoids. The Tuigan invasion was well over a century ago in-world, and I can tell you one thing WotC will NOT be doing with a mega-adventure in 5e is pitting the PCs against an army of Mongol rip-off 'barbarians' to protect Western Civilisation the shiny Cormyr monarchy...

Remove ads