D&D (2024) Where is the new OneD&D playtest?

I am starting to get concerned about the playtest. I hope there is not a complete change of plan going on.
At that point I could see them just doing a PHBII for 5e with alternate races and classe progressions and release it into the wild and gauge if that is what people want. If they are now targeted by people who look at the past instead of the future that trash their playtest survey, UA make no sense anymore.

lkj

Hero
Or they needed to focus on advertising for keys from the golden vault for a week. They tend to try to avoid piling things in the same week. And given that they're doing interviews with YouTubers and such about the OGL, I wonder if there won't be more delays until they feel they have an open slate for a given week.

AD

I think it was simply delayed because the employees who handle the bulk of survey reading and summarizing were being tasked with an additional OGL survey.

Even if the OGL survey results are pretty irrelevant now because they already decided what they are doing I'm sure they're still going to collect the information from them and do a report, and that any playtest was rescheduled to not need another survey until they were done with that survey. WotC actually has a fairly small full-time staff. While I imagine in a sudden extra-survey crisis other staff might read a few of them, I'm going to bet its the same few people who read the bulk of the feedback on the OGL survey as on every other one.

I am starting to get concerned about the playtest. I hope there is not a complete change of plan going on.
At that point I could see them just doing a PHBII for 5e with alternate races and classe progressions and release it into the wild and gauge if that is what people want. If they are now targeted by people who look at the past instead of the future that trash their playtest survey, UA make no sense anymore.
A simple 2nd edition of the 5e PHB that brings it up to date with later 5e materials and maybe presented things a little clearer for newbies is all I actually wanted "new edition"-wise, and I'd be happiest if they just scrapped this whole OneD&D random remix project. But I'm pretty confident we're going to get what I don't want rather than what you don't want.

MarkB

Legend
They may also be waiting for the community to cool off a bit. There are still plenty of people wanting to express their dissatisfaction with WotC's handling of the OGL, and if they use the next playtest survey as their opportunity to do so, that could skew the results past the point of usefulness.

They may also be waiting for the community to cool off a bit. There are still plenty of people wanting to express their dissatisfaction with WotC's handling of the OGL, and if they use the next playtest survey as their opportunity to do so, that could skew the results past the point of usefulness.
I think you are right. I still see Facebook and twitter posts about the movie and the Golden Vault crapped on by a lot of people (it is starting to feel a little excessive to me). The play test may experience something similar. If I were WoTC I would wait until when the movie drops and the focus hopefully shifts.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can see them backing off to that point OR moving forward with more extreme changes to distance themselves from the SRD and OGL.

Remove ads