Where is the Wild Mage

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I view him as skittish, mainly BECAUSE he doesn't feel he can allow things that might seem unwieldy, like Wild Magic or Elven magic. Doesn't mean I don't respect his views though.

Number47

First Post
If you already have the second edition Tome of Magic, I can e-mail you a pdf of my take on wild magic for third edition. It's not a new system or anything, but some very nice charts that make a little more sense than the 2E. Best of all, it's free!

rounser

First Post
I view him as skittish, mainly BECAUSE he doesn't feel he can allow things that might seem unwieldy, like Wild Magic or Elven magic. Doesn't mean I don't respect his views though.
Er....Sean wrote some (rather compact and elegant, IMO) wild magic rules, so unless you mean he's personally responsible for their exclusion from 3E (which I don't know about), I don't see where you're coming from.

babomb

First Post
I bought RangerWickett's book, and although I haven't gotten to use it yet, I think it's a really good system overall.

If you liked the 2e wild magic, you'll probably love his, because it's similar, but fixes the problems it had.

Psion

Adventurer
rounser said:
Er....Sean wrote some (rather compact and elegant, IMO) wild magic rules, so unless you mean he's personally responsible for their exclusion from 3E (which I don't know about), I don't see where you're coming from.

AFAIK, he was. It was he who insistently argued that wild magic didn't belong in 3e. He might not have been the only one, but he has always been one of the more conservative WotC developers.

He did write rules for wild magic, but

1) I consider them extremely tepid
2) They never did make it into any official rules, did they?

Shimrod

First Post
I made a wildmage prestige-class. Just click the link in my Sig and go to downloads. It is a slightly different concept then the original 2e wildmage, but I´m DM-ing one right now and it is working quite well.

Kal Vito

First Post
what is a wild mages in your opinion

one of my player came to me with the concept of playing a wild mage

But i never played 2e ( well next to never ) so im not sure what there wild mage was like. So therefore the only wild mage i've seen is the one in the expansion to Baldurs gate.

So by definition what is a wild mage?

And how does the Baldurs gate wild mage compare to the original 2e?

rounser

First Post
AFAIK, he was. It was he who insistently argued that wild magic didn't belong in 3e. He might not have been the only one, but he has always been one of the more conservative WotC developers.
He's also always been one of the most publicly vocal designers around (which I appreciate, although I know some others don't), so it's quite possible that this is just a case of shooting the messenger. In other words, I think that SKR occasionally argues and explains some of what the WotC 3E designers in general probably take for granted, but don't choose to communicate - for whatever reason...

Without comments from him, Ryan Dancey and Monte Cook, I think we'd know a lot less about some of the more subtle designerthink behind 3E. Here's another interesting tidbit, a probably unintentionally kept "secret" regarding dragon CRs in the MM from his article, "Handling Large Parties" (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/handlinglargeparties.html):

While I'm briefly on the subject of dragons, I should rant about this thing that not a lot of people know: Dragons are intentionally undervalued for their CR. Why? Because dragon CRs are set assuming that the PCs known the dragon exists and are planning to fight it. "PCs shouldn'st stumble into a dragon's lair" is the argument. While that may work for the big dragons, unfortunately it doesn't apply to the smaller ones, whose CRs are still way too low.
For example, a young white dragon is CR 3, but it has 9 hit dice, AC 18, +11 base attack, and a 3d6 breath weapon. By comparison, two ogres are EL 4, have 8 hit dice between them, AC 16, +8 base attack each, and no breath weapon.
They're the only monster in the book that has its CR set up like that, and (even worse) nowhere does the book tell you this! See the problem? So when you use dragons, treat them as if their CR were at least 1 higher.
End rant.
Interesting methinks...
He did write rules for wild magic, but

1) I consider them extremely tepid
2) They never did make it into any official rules, did they?
As I recall from memory of the Tome of Magic, they're a reasonable facsimile of the old rules, so I don't think it's fair to call them tepid if they were meant to be no more than a conversion. I understand that the possibilities of wild magic get blown up in people's minds to suggest going much further, however, which is indeed where Wild Spellcraft and Chaos Magic come in. Those looking for a free, quick fix, however, could use Sean's rules.

As far as making it into the rules, well, looking at the range of SKR's unofficial "improvements" on Faiths and Pantheons (mostly re-inclusions from the manuscript), I don't really think he gets final say on what ends up in the books, so perhaps you're being a bit unfair in holding him in particular as responsible for that...

Last edited:

333 Dave

First Post
RangerWickett said:
If you just want a very brief set of rules to play by, I can upload some of the more basic Open Gaming Content portions of Wild Spellcraft, but overall I think you're better off getting a full book.

I personally would like to have 'some of the more basic Open Gaming Content portions of Wild Spellcraft" to look at. Feel free to e-mail me at dalenthas3@icqmail.com

Remove ads