• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

where to from here? planning thread

Cleon

Legend
I may not be ready to add monsters to the CC, but I decided to try updating one of the existing ones just to make sure I can.

The Ruler Aboleth had a bunch of \' instead of proper ' apostrophes, which I have just corrected, so it appears I can edit CC entries OK.

At least, I can edit standard monsters and templates. The database won't allow me to Edit Dragon entries, although I do seem to be able to add new Dragon entries.

I hope there's a way of editing them, otherwise it means that correcting an error in a Dragon would require deleting the entire entry and re-entering it as a new Dragon.

With separate fields for every age category.

Ouch!

Cleon

Legend
Okay, I've been playing around with the formatting tags and it's possible to do proper Tables using standard HTML tags (see the Mystaran Gargantua Size Table) at the start of the Mystaran Gargantua Template for an example, although writing the code was a bit of a sod.

I should be able to automate it with a Macro, I suppose.

Hmm, I wonder whether I can put tables like that in Enworld posts using HTML code...

...No, it seems I can't.

I don't think I'll make a habit of adding tables to the Creature Catalog entry because, frankly, they're a pain. Still, it's nice to know we have the option.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
It's a tradition to do it in batches of 10 loosely-related critters. We've got more than enough Lycanthropes to make a batch - indeed, we might have two batches worth - and I think we can scrape together a batch of 10 Spiders, 10 Plants, 10 Elemental Fiends, 10 Macroscopic Monsters or 10 Oozes.
My vote would be to start with something a little easier than the lycanthropes -- those tend to have lost of sample stat blocks and other non-standard entry features. I'm quite fond of oozes, so I like the idea of starting by added a batch of those.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I haven't had a chance to look at much other than to confirm I can get to everything.

Cleon, we're both having the problem getting to the edit page for dragon entries. This seems like a technical glitch that darjr might be able to fix. Could you let him know?

I'd kind of like the first update to be in memoriam to Shade if possible. I'm not sure what monsters should go into it entirely, but I do think we should finish the ninja spirit shadow and include that. Frankly, we could do one small update and get down to a themed batch of 10 the day after if we can't figure out enough monsters for a Shade-related batch.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I considered that, but Shade was such an equal-opportunity monster fan, that it is tricky to pick out specific critters from the queue that might be appropriate.

That said, here are a few possibilities (based on being "shady" in some sense):
  • Transient Golem
  • Dust Devil
  • Living Ash
  • Darksider
  • Wraith, Soul Beckoner
  • Vortex
  • Greater Shadowrath (Abysskin)
  • Shadowrath
  • Flying Spirit (Tatami Goblin, Demon Blanket)
  • Kyokotsu (Crazy Bones Flying Spirit)

Cleon

Legend
I haven't had a chance to look at much other than to confirm I can get to everything.

Cleon, we're both having the problem getting to the edit page for dragon entries. This seems like a technical glitch that darjr might be able to fix. Could you let him know?

I'll send his an email.

I'd kind of like the first update to be in memoriam to Shade if possible. I'm not sure what monsters should go into it entirely, but I do think we should finish the ninja spirit shadow and include that. Frankly, we could do one small update and get down to a themed batch of 10 the day after if we can't figure out enough monsters for a Shade-related batch.

Good idea. I'm sure we can collect a batch of ten shady monsters in his honour.

Cleon

Legend
I considered that, but Shade was such an equal-opportunity monster fan, that it is tricky to pick out specific critters from the queue that might be appropriate.

That said, here are a few possibilities (based on being "shady" in some sense):
  • Transient Golem
  • Dust Devil
  • Living Ash
  • Darksider
  • Wraith, Soul Beckoner
  • Vortex
  • Greater Shadowrath (Abysskin)
  • Shadowrath
  • Flying Spirit (Tatami Goblin, Demon Blanket)
  • Kyokotsu (Crazy Bones Flying Spirit)

The Dust Devil and Vortex don't seem to fit the theme, and I'm not so sure about the Living Ash. Wouldn't they belong more in a batch of Elementals?

Freyar mentioned the Ninja Shadow Spirit. I was thinking we'd put those in a "Kara-Tur Hauntings" batch with the Seven Swords and the two Flying Spirits we've got.

How about the Kender Vampire, Drow Vampire, Dirtwraith and Paper Ghost?

Hmm, I'm tempted to add the Draeden and Tree of Wailing Souls, since they were among the last Epic creatures Shade added to the Conversions.

That would give us:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't really like the vampires for this list particularly, and we could quibble about the others. I also understand wanting to save the ninja spirit shadow, but it just makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not getting too many other ideas, though.

Cleon

Legend
I don't really like the vampires for this list particularly, and we could quibble about the others. I also understand wanting to save the ninja spirit shadow, but it just makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not getting too many other ideas, though.

Well do you have any alternatives in mind?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads