• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

where to from here? planning thread

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Quick update: darjr is going to investigate, and initial impressions are that access to the CC is linked to ENWorld accounts. He ask who needed to be given access to the database, so I've put Freyar and Cleon's names forward, as agreed.

OK, post back here when you hear back.

Cleon

Legend
Don't flood my inbox or anything, but anyone who needs to reach me would probably have better luck sending me an e-mail. :)

That'd require me to actually know your email. B-)

I'd Private Message'd you my email address, so could you send me an email so I have yours too?

Do you have Freyar's email address?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If you click someone's username in a post, it gives you the option of sending an email. ;) I could also send it to you if necessary.

Cleon

Legend
If you click someone's username in a post, it gives you the option of sending an email. ;) I could also send it to you if necessary.

I've already Private-Message'd BOZ my email, so it seems superfluous to email him too.

I'd rather leave it to BOZ to decide whether to send me his email address or not.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ahh, I thought his PM box was full. But, yeah, I get what you're saying.

Incidentally, I'm off to a conference Mon to Thurs this week, so I will be around less than usual. I should be able to check in during most evenings, I think.

Cleon

Legend
Ahh, I thought his PM box was full. But, yeah, I get what you're saying.

Incidentally, I'm off to a conference Mon to Thurs this week, so I will be around less than usual. I should be able to check in during most evenings, I think.

Fine, have fun!

I'm sure I can find innocent ways to amuse myself when you aren't watching...

Bwah hah haha!!! :D

Cleon

Legend
I just got a PM from darjr that Cleon and Freyar are now set up to access the Creature Catalog database :D.

I hope the admin interface isn't too tricky to use! :uhoh:

Yes, I just saw that too!

I've checked it out, and I can get into the database without problems. The procedure for adding creatures is a bit clutzy, but I think I can write a Macro to do some of the heavy lifting regarding the formatting tags.

The big question is, what creatures are we going to update first?

It's a tradition to do it in batches of 10 loosely-related critters. We've got more than enough Lycanthropes to make a batch - indeed, we might have two batches worth - and I think we can scrape together a batch of 10 Spiders, 10 Plants, 10 Elemental Fiends, 10 Macroscopic Monsters or 10 Oozes.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Yep, IIRC the CC interface takes some getting used to, but it's not particularly difficult. If you can test some way to make it easier than hand-copying all the data to each field, that would save a ton of time. ;)

Sorry for not being more available, such is my life. Glad you guys have access, do we have an update on setting up new forum admins?

Cleon

Legend
Yep, IIRC the CC interface takes some getting used to, but it's not particularly difficult. If you can test some way to make it easier than hand-copying all the data to each field, that would save a ton of time. ;)

It looks pretty straight forward, but a bit tedious.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way for me to translate the data to each field with the access I have, but that's not what I was talking about.

The main body of the text - the description, tactics, power descriptions and so forth - is all one field.

All the text formatting uses tags, so if I want an italic word I'd need to type in <i>italic</i>.

I'm just writing a macro which'll take a formatted document and put in the appropriate tags for <b>bold</b>, <i><b>bold italic</b></i>, Large and so forth, so I don't have to type them by hand or do a bunch of Find-And-Replace commands.

Problem is, I don't know what tags the system allows. The bold, italic and so forth are easy to deduce, but I'd like to know what tags (if any) is uses for fonts, text size and hyperlinks. The Enworld forums use bog-standard tags for those: font="fontname", SIZE=size, URL="location"; but I don't know whether I can use them for CC database entries.

I suppose I could just write a monster up and find out, but I'd like to hear from Freyar before adding new creatures to the Catalog.

Sorry for not being more available, such is my life. Glad you guys have access, do we have an update on setting up new forum admins?

I haven't heard anything about the Forum Admin question, no.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads