D&D 5E Where to next? (post LMOP)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Actually, thinking about it - you might want to run/play the Leilon trilogy. It's one of the best series of adventures I've run for D&D 5E.

These were the follow-ups to the D&D Essentials Kit, but also work well as a follow-up to the Starter Kit. (You get them for free if you've bought the Essentials Kit, otherwise you can buy them on D&D Beyond, Roll20, or ).

Levels 7-13. Stunning set of adventures.

Cheers!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
It is meant to invest the players in the survival of the NPCs and the town more. (This is explained in the adventure text).

It might not succeed for you in that, but that's the intent.

But considering the logistical difficulties of running the encounter where players are managing multiple characters, wouldn't it be much better if the NPCs and their town factored into the adventure long-term instead of dropping out of the story immediately after the battle? I feel like having the players play the NPCs and defend their town is a great way to get the players invested in those NPCs and their town, and then the adventure takes zero advantage of that investment.

Alternately, if the idea is to interest the players in the crisis with the giants and why the attacked, wouldn't it also be better if the encounter led to a way to pursue that story instead of leading to two levels of unrelated side-quests?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Also gave me some good tips for when I take a shot at DMing

We're gonna stick with DOTMM...my DM is really great at injecting narrative and backstory into NPC's and flavouring encounters, so I think together we can enhance what is already there.

Aces.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Storm King's Thunder is the easiest to transition into - it's in the same general area, and even has directions on how to go from LMoP into the adventure. It technically only goes up to level 10 - 11, but you can easily have that go up to 15+ by having them visit all the giant settlements instead of just one (they have to get all 5 of the McGuffins instead of just one, or they're asked by their eventual allies to deal with all of them while they work out where the big bad has gone - which is the method I used). They'll just need less of the provided help in the climatic encounter.
I would not recommend SKT to a new GM. It can be great, but the GM has to work hard to make that greatness happen.

My personal recommendation is to send the party to Yoon-Suin. I may sound like a broken record on this issue, but in this case I'm making the recommendation because the book has tons of advice on how to build your own yoon-suin... which are 100% applicable on how to build your own world.

It feels like a missed opportunity by WotC that there isn't a clear, obvious answer to this question. It comes up over and over again. So many groups have a great experience with LMoP...and then no idea where to go next. There really should be a sequel to that covers play in Tier 2: "Blank Blank of Phandelver."

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
It feels like a missed opportunity by WotC that there isn't a clear, obvious answer to this question. It comes up over and over again. So many groups have a great experience with LMoP...and then no idea where to go next. There really should be a sequel to that covers play in Tier 2: "Blank Blank of Phandelver."

I think they recognized this and that's why Dragon of Icespire Peak got the 3 follow-up adventures on DNDBeyond.

Unfortunately, Lost Mine is still better than DoIP. But if you ran them together, taking the best parts of each, and then ran the expansions, you have a level 1-13 campaign.

I think they recognized this and that's why Dragon of Icespire Peak got the 3 follow-up adventures on DNDBeyond.

Unfortunately, Lost Mine is still better than DoIP. But if you ran them together, taking the best parts of each, and then ran the expansions, you have a level 1-13 campaign.
Agreed. But I still think it would be easiest for new DMs if there was a clear sequel to LMoP.

Remove ads