D&D 5E Where to Now?

Undrave

Legend
I mean sure, they've had spells since 1e, but they always felt very much tacked on and have always felt remarkably out of place on the ranger (to me anyway). Their approach to the spell-less ranger a while back was also eye-rollingly silly....they just replaced the spells with brewing potions that did many of the same things the spells did.

I think this was basically an unfortunate side effect of there just be no other way for the Ranger to do 'Cool naughty word' back in the days. 4e showed you could do a cool Ranger without spells at its core, even if it still felt a bit muddled by the whole Twin-Weapon obsession.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
If the exploration pillar were more sturdily supported in D&D I think it would be far easier to make a better Ranger. There just aren't a lot of knobs and dials there. As it is the Ranger takes an already under-served pillar of play and makes it, essentially, an exercise in handwaving. I think WotC can do better.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yes, the subclasses are the differentiation. The class itself, the part they all share, is focused on Wildshape plus Nature Casting. You can't play a Druid without Wildshape. Anyway, this isn't a criticism, just an observation that the concept space for the class is restricted somewhat by the class abilities. The design space taken up by wildshape is what could have been occupied by greater summoning or greater control type abilities.
That's why I use a 3pp Druid that took out Wildshape. Gives space for weapon using druids, animal companion druids, etc.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I preferred the 4e Druid. Because you (the player) did not have to carry around a notebook describing all the possible animals you could wildshape into, with their stats / powers / abilities. Rather, you kept your man-form capabilities.

YMMV (almost certainly Y M does V)
I've gone both ways. Currently I prefer template-based wildshaping over monster stat block based wildshaping, but I'm sympathetic to arguments for the latter. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
If the exploration pillar were more sturdily supported in D&D I think it would be far easier to make a better Ranger. There just aren't a lot of knobs and dials there. As it is the Ranger takes an already under-served pillar of play and makes it, essentially, an exercise in handwaving. I think WotC can do better.

I mean to each their own, but it's more than just handwaving for my group. It's turning minutae into something palatable. Naturally every table and game has its own preferences, focuses and what brings it and its individuals fun and joy, but we find that particular aspect of the game ("pillar" if you must have a buzzword in there) monotonous. We're not looking for simulation, or a means to act out what is otherwise (to us) a far more mundane part of the fantasy at large. At best for us, it's a descriptive part of the game that requires very little mechanical or other focus. We let our imaginations do the heavy lifting there. We treat it like we treat encumbrance rules...we don't ignore it, but so long as you're not toting about a ridiculous amount of crap (and you can show your character has that innocuous nothing item that's perfect for the situation at hand on your character sheet), we just don't worry much about it or spend much time on it.

Would we if there was more published material for that pillar, or if it was more innately tied to the game as a whole? No. Because we find it monotonous no matter how good it looks in that suit, because previous editions have provided support for that pillar...and it was (mostly) boring as hell for us then too(1e-3e). We enjoy describing what our characters would be doing in those instances, factored in the skills and concepts for our characters, and if something more interesting happens (random hostile encounter, interesting hermit, discovery of a previously unknown ruin/cave, etc)....we move off of that pillar and into something far more interesting. If nothing more interesting happens, we still move out of that pillar again to something more interesting (i.e. arriving at our intended destination).

I can see where more specific rules for that pillar can be enormously fun for a lot of people, and perhaps even my own group. We're not so closed-minded we would always handwave it away. Say if the campaign itself was centered around the concept of the party being explorers, or paid trailblazers, seeking to open a new traderoute to a distant land or something akin to that....then I could see having those rules be useful. Even in that context though, we'd still find ourselves handwaving a LOT. We simply just don't find playing out, long form, the fun in hunting tonight's dinner....or making sure the wagon avoids that large divvit in the road...or how to navigate that narrow mountain path...or how to weather that thunder and hail storm. Some find that the best part of course, and power to them. I wouldn't complain about more rules to support that pillar and those who truly enjoy them, but they'd find little use at our table.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
In 2024, we'll see revised core books--not new editions, but something like "errata plus," or akin to a 5.1 or 5.2: errata, minor tweaks here and there (e.g. re-buffing a few monsters, a new ranger, etc), and new art, possibly including classic pieces from older editions (e.g. Emirikol the Chaotic belongs back in the DMG).

Yuck. I really hope not. Don't try to sell me a new version of the game until it's necessary to roll out a new edition. I have no interest, and active disdain, for the notion of a "here's a new PH, mostly like the old one but with juuuuuuust enough different that your old game will be obsolete!" product line. 5e isn't like 3e, with significant issues that need fixing, at least to my mind.

Remove ads