• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Where to put ability bonuses during character creation

Where should ability bonuses go?

• In the race/species

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • In the culture

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • In the background

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Totally freeform, wherever you like

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • No ability bonuses, maybe an extra species feature instead

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Split between species/culture/background (say +1 from each?)

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Some other option

Votes: 25 16.3%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I picked Split between species/culture/background (say +1 from each?), but would also like to see the 4/8/etc asi changed to feat or feat and Asi but reduces bonus elsewhere (ie proficiency scaling) so that there is room to bring back the +1/2/4/6 gear that works nice in slower leveling campaigns over 5e's overpowering =19 stuff where it's so powerful the gm needs to really think hard before giving a +stat item & ponder the resulting dump started gish it creates

CapnZapp

Legend
Racial ASIs are pointless IMO, as they neither represent racial improvements over others which cannot be made up for later nor affect maximums.
Hardly.

Racial/ancestral/speciesal(?) bonuses are the cornerstone of having to choose a race. It strongly steers players into some classes and away from others.

From the birds eye perspective, they are an important part of the D&D feel, the "resistance" you encounter that forces you to interact with the rules and building choices, as opposed to letting you create exactly the character you want.

The fact 5E caps ability scores and thus lets races "catch up" doesn't change this at all. The fact your Dwarf Bard is just as good as good as any other Bard at level 12 (iirc) is much less relevant than him being at a disadvantage throughout levels 1 to 11...

Zardnaar

Legend
Hardly.

Racial/ancestral/speciesal(?) bonuses are the cornerstone of having to choose a race. It strongly steers players into some classes and away from others.

From the birds eye perspective, they are an important part of the D&D feel, the "resistance" you encounter that forces you to interact with the rules and building choices, as opposed to letting you create exactly the character you want.

The fact 5E caps ability scores and thus lets races "catch up" doesn't change this at all. The fact your Dwarf Bard is just as good as good as any other Bard at level 12 (iirc) is much less relevant than him being at a disadvantage throughout levels 1 to 11...

That and game may not get to level 12.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can only speak for myself, but I don't project the real world into my fantasy gaming, and I have zero issues with some races being stronger or smarter or more being able to commune with stones or whatever, than others on average.

Stereotypes might not be good in real life, but they sure are in fantasy gaming imo.

Remember, our game will still feature heroes that have murdered thousands of creatures to reach level 20, so in my opinion it simply doesn't make any sense to draw parallels to only some aspects of our fantasy game of pretend elfs while ignoring others.

Let's just instead keep gaming and reality separate and keep enjoying silly stereotypes, rote storylines, exaggerated over-acting and the thrill of combat, without at any point suggesting we become more racist (or murderous!) in real life by doing so.

My preference is actually someting quite different.

I'd prefer a smaller starting array, no startings ASIs and then each level a PC can add a +1 to a stat of their choice.

This represents the character evolving over time, and plus it feels good to get to boost a stat. Once every 4 levels and having to not choose a neat feat is too few for my tastes.

The playtest gave a bonus to race and class, and I felt dropping that was a big loss. Giving a bonus towards a class's primary ability score from the class ensures that no one who starts with it will suck at it.
Unless feats and ASI were splitted, right? If you did not need to make that sacrifice, it would be ok?

Thing is, Morrus is talking about having a bunch of choices at each character level, I think it would kinda scratch that ''customization'' itch that is currently scratched only by feats when you forgo an ASI. So in 5e, customization of your character at higher level cost you an ASI, but in A5E there's no need to go that way: you can have both!
If a +1 ASI was incoporated in each level up and the starting stats reduced, it helps the goal of customisation at each level IMO

Remove ads